Find the magnitude and direction of the sum of momenta

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the magnitude and direction of the sum of momenta of two joggers. The Impulse-Momentum Theorem is mentioned but it is determined that the correct method is to add the momenta vectors. The importance of using descriptive titles for posts is also noted.
ladolce

Homework Statement

An 85 kg jogger is heading due east at a speed of 2.2 m/s. A 55 kg jogger is heading 20° north of east at a speed of 4.0 m/s. Find the magnitude and direction of the sum of momenta of the two joggers.

Homework Equations

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the components of the 2 vectors, add them, and get the answer...but I got the wrong answer apparently. Should I try again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, try it again--that's the right method. Remember that you are adding momenta, not just velocity vectors.

This has nothing to do with the impulse-momentum theorem.

Also: Try to give your posts more descriptive titles that "Help!". :wink:

haha well obviously "help" gets a much desired response =) but i'll keep that in mind. and webassign is wrong a lot. it said to use the theorem. how would i use momenta instead?

Ok, I got it. Thanks!

ladolce said:
haha well obviously "help" gets a much desired response =) but i'll keep that in mind.
Don't worry about the getting help part--that's what the "homework help" forums are for. But if all your posts have the same title, busy homework helpers might think they've already answered your question--thus you end up getting less help than you might need.
and webassign is wrong a lot. it said to use the theorem. how would i use momenta instead?
That's what I thought you already tried. Find the components and add them up. This is an addition of vectors problem, not an impulse-momentum problem. (Unless there is more.)

ladolce said:
Ok, I got it. Thanks!
Good! ... :smile:

Related to Find the magnitude and direction of the sum of momenta

1. What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by the product of its mass and velocity.

2. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How do you find the magnitude of the sum of momenta?

To find the magnitude of the sum of momenta, you need to add up the individual momenta of all the objects involved in the system.

4. How do you find the direction of the sum of momenta?

The direction of the sum of momenta can be determined using vector addition. You need to add up the individual momenta vectors and then find the resultant vector, which will point in the direction of the sum of momenta.

5. Can the sum of momenta be negative?

Yes, the sum of momenta can be negative if the momenta vectors are pointing in opposite directions. This indicates that the objects are moving in opposite directions.