Find the magnitude of resultant of OA, OB and OC.

In summary, the conversation was about finding the magnitude of the resultant of three vectors, OA, OB, and OC, represented by arrows pointing upwards. The person asking for help tried to find the resultant and its angle with OA, but was unsuccessful and asked for further assistance. Another person suggested breaking down the vectors into their x and y components and using trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. Eventually, it was determined that the solution was simpler than originally thought and the person thanked everyone for their help.
devvaibhav
1. Find the magnitude of resultant of OA, OB and OC ( there is an arrow sign upwards of OA, OB and OC showing these are vectors.)
untitled.JPG

(Sorry but i am not good at making computer drawings.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the resultant of OA and OC and then the angle of resultant with OA but the whole thing turned out to be a mess. please help me in it...

Physics news on Phys.org
devvaibhav said:
1. Find the magnitude of resultant of OA, OB and OC ( there is an arrow sign upwards of OA, OB and OC showing these are vectors.)

View attachment 36526

(Sorry but i am not good at making computer drawings.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the resultant of OA and OC and then the angle of resultant with OA but the whole thing turned out to be a mess. please help me in it...
Please show what you tried, then we can help figure out how it is wrong.

i have cut that solution by pen..should i scan that and upload it?is that ok??

please someone reply it...there is no need to scan and upload my solution as i know that whatver i have done is totally wrong as the angle b/w resultant of OA and OB was in points( i had to calculate it via calculator)...please some one reply me...You might consider me fool bocz i am telling my attempt wrong bcoz of only the angle was in points.I knw it was wrong bcoz in the book, there is no question who has angle in points..So i think my attempt is incorrect...
please some one reply me...

Vector A: ri
Vector B: rcos45i +rsin45j
Vector C: rj

Add vectors together. Redraw. Use trig to find magnitude and direction of resultant vector

Sorry for not responding sooner, devvaibhav. As RTW69 suggested, you can write each vector in terms of its x and y (or "i" and "j") components. Add like components together.

@RTW69 tnx...it was hell simple..i was confused..tnx for it...
@Redbelly98 its ok...

thanks everyone...

FAQ: Find the magnitude of resultant of OA, OB and OC.

1. What is the definition of resultant?

The resultant is the vector sum of two or more vectors. It represents the combined effect of multiple vectors acting on an object.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a resultant vector?

To find the magnitude of a resultant vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the magnitudes of each individual vector. Then, add these squared values together. Finally, take the square root of the sum to find the magnitude of the resultant vector.

3. Can the magnitude of a resultant vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. If the resultant vector has a negative value, it simply means that the direction of the vector is in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system.

4. What is the difference between a resultant vector and a net force?

A resultant vector is a mathematical representation of the combined effect of multiple vectors. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the individual vectors. On the other hand, a net force is a physical quantity that represents the overall force acting on an object. It only considers the magnitude of the force, not its direction.

5. How does the angle between vectors affect the magnitude of the resultant?

The angle between vectors can affect the magnitude of the resultant. When the angle is 0 degrees, the resultant will have the greatest magnitude. As the angle increases, the magnitude of the resultant will decrease. When the angle is 180 degrees, the resultant will have a magnitude of 0, as the vectors are cancelling each other out.