Find the magnitude of the attractive force

In summary, the attractive force between the electrons in one cup of water and the protons in the second cup of water is 8.36^24 Newtons.
RollingR
[SOLVED] Coulomb's Law

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of the attractive force exerted by the electrons in a cup of water on the protons in the second cup of water at a distance of 10 m. Assume that each cup contains 250g of water and that 6x10^23 water molecules (one mole) weighs 18 g. Do two cups of water exert any net force on each other? Why?

Homework Equations

F = k*(qq/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

250g H2O / 18g H2O * 6.022^23 = 8.36^24 molecules of water

I don't understand how to proceed after that. Do I need to find the number of electrons/protons in all H and O atoms separately and add them? Then multiply by 1.602^-19C (electron/proton charge) and plug those numbers into the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can approximate the all the electrons in one cup as one big charged point. Ditto for the protons.

RollingR said:

The Attempt at a Solution

250g H2O / 18g H2O * 6.022^23 = 8.36^24 molecules of water

I don't understand how to proceed after that. Do I need to find the number of electrons/protons in all H and O atoms separately and add them?

You will need to find how many electrons or protons are in that many water molecules (you know they'll be the same total) and then, as genneth says, treat the total electron charge in one cup as a "lump" and the total proton charge as a "lump" in the other cup.

dynamicsolo said:
You will need to find how many electrons or protons are in that many water molecules (you know they'll be the same total)

Right, that's where I'm stuck.

How many electrons are there in a water molecule? How many protons?

1+1+8?

RollingR said:
1+1+8?

Roger that! So what is the total proton or electron charge in each cup?

Sounds about right. And you already know the number of molecules in the beakers... so -- what's the number of electrons/protons per beaker? Can you finish the question now?

8.36^24 * 10 * 1.602^-19?

Go on... no need for us to be holding your hand *that* tightly...

RollingR said:
8.36^24 * 10 * 1.602^-19?

And the stadium crowd goes wild! Now you're ready to apply Coulomb's Law.

Thanks guys.

FAQ: Find the magnitude of the attractive force

What is the definition of "magnitude of the attractive force"?

The magnitude of the attractive force is a measure of the strength of the force that pulls two objects together due to their mass and distance.

How is the magnitude of the attractive force calculated?

The magnitude of the attractive force is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the magnitude of the attractive force?

The magnitude of the attractive force is affected by the mass of the two objects and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects, the stronger the force, and the greater the distance between them, the weaker the force.

Can the magnitude of the attractive force be negative?

No, the magnitude of the attractive force is always a positive value. It represents the strength of the force pulling two objects together, and a negative value would indicate a repulsive force.

What units are used to measure the magnitude of the attractive force?

The magnitude of the attractive force is typically measured in newtons (N) in the metric system, or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system. However, any unit of force can be used as long as it is consistent throughout the calculation.

Back