Find the magnitude of the force that stops the bullet

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 5 g bullet moving at 600 m/s that penetrates a tree trunk to a depth of 4 cm. The first question asks for the magnitude of the force that stops the bullet, which can be found using the work energy theorem. The answer is 2.25*10^4 N. The second question asks for the time elapsed between the moment the bullet enters the tree trunk and the moment it stops moving, assuming a constant frictional force. The answer is 1.33*10^4 s.
Tabe
HELP Please!

Ok, I am totally lost on how to solve this problem: A 5 g bullet moving at 600 m/s penetrates a tree trunk to a depth of 4 cm.
a. use work and energy considerations to find the magnitude of the force that stops the bullet
b. assuming that the frictional force is constant, determine how much time elapses between the moment the bullet enters the tree trunk and the moment the bullet stops moving.

I know the answers are 2.25*10^4 N, and 1.33*10^4 s, but I have no idea how to get them

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Using the work energy theorem we get taht...
* remember to convert the units

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}(0.005)(600)^2 = F(0.04)
[/tex]

Solving for F gives 22500N

Thanks, I really was lost because of the "depth" part.

b)

m = 0.005
F = 22500N

a = F/m
a = (v-u)/t

that gives
t = (v-u)/a

v = 0
u = 600

so.. i found that:
t = 0.000133333333

So you see :)

Related to Find the magnitude of the force that stops the bullet

1. What factors determine the magnitude of the force that stops a bullet?

The magnitude of the force that stops a bullet depends on several factors, including the velocity and mass of the bullet, the material and thickness of the object it hits, and the distance the bullet travels before coming to a stop.

2. Is the magnitude of the force the same for all types of bullets?

No, the magnitude of the force that stops a bullet can vary depending on the type of bullet. Factors such as shape, size, and weight can all affect the force required to stop a bullet.

3. Can the magnitude of the force be calculated accurately?

Yes, the magnitude of the force that stops a bullet can be calculated using the principles of physics and engineering. However, it may be difficult to determine all the variables involved in the calculation accurately.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the magnitude of the force that stops a bullet?

The angle of impact can have a significant impact on the magnitude of the force that stops a bullet. A bullet hitting an object head-on will experience a greater force compared to one hitting at an angle.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the force required to stop a bullet?

Understanding the magnitude of the force that stops a bullet is crucial in the design and testing of bulletproof materials and body armor. It is also essential in forensic investigations to determine the trajectory and impact of a bullet in a crime scene.

Back