Find the Math Forming a Vector Function in 2 Dimensions

In summary, the homework statement is to find the equation for a vector function in 2 dimensions whose direction makes an angle of 45 degrees with the x-axis and whose magnitude at any point (x,y) is (x+y)2.
Saladsamurai
Okay. My reason for posting this is that I need help actually formulating the 'math part' of it. I can get the right answer by 'inspection.' And from the way the book is written, I believe that is how the authors expect you to find it. But for self gratifying reasons, I wish to generalize the answer a little bit:

Homework Statement

Write the formula for a vector function in 2 dimensions whose direction makes an
angle of 45 degrees with the x-axis and whose magnitude at any point (x,y) is (x+y)2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now just looking at it, we can say that to insure that the vector at any point (x,y) is at 45 degrees to the x-axis, we can let the funciton equal something to the effect of:

[tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y) = k(\bold{i} + \bold{j})[/tex]

Now k(x,y) is the 'scalar portion' of F and must have the effect that its product with the magnitude of the
vector portion of F, namely v=(i + j), must equal (x+y)2.

Now since the magnitude of v=(i + j) is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], k(x,y) must have [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] in its denominator.

This will make 'unit vector' in the v direction or

[tex]\bold{u}_v = \frac{\bold{v}}{\sqrt{2}}=\frac{\bold{i} + \bold{j}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Therefore, multiplying v by k(x,y) = (x+y)2/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] gives the desired result.

[tex]\Rightarrow \bold{F}(x,y) = \frac{(x+y)^2}{\sqrt{2}}(\bold{i} + \bold{j})[/tex]I am just curious how other would approach this problem, or if this is the most efficient method from a mathematical standpoint.

~Casey

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno if it helps but...

I assumed a vector initially completely in the i direction: [tex]\mathbf{F} = (x+y)^2 \mathbf{i}[/tex].

Then just did a coordinate rotation:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}cos(45) & -sin(45)\\sin(45) & cos(45)\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}(x+y)^2\\0\end{array}\right) = \frac{(x+y)^2}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\begin{array}{cc}\mathbf{i}\\\mathbf{j}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Thanks Feldoh! That's a very interesting approach. I like it!

:smile:

Related to Find the Math Forming a Vector Function in 2 Dimensions

1. What is a vector function in 2 dimensions?

A vector function in 2 dimensions is a mathematical representation of a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be described using two parameters, typically x and y, and is often used in physics and engineering to model motion and forces in two-dimensional systems.

2. How do you form a vector function in 2 dimensions?

To form a vector function in 2 dimensions, you need to define two functions for the x and y components of the vector. These functions can be in terms of variables, constants, and other mathematical operations. The resulting vector function will have the form f(t) = , where t represents the independent variable.

3. What are some examples of vector functions in 2 dimensions?

Some examples of vector functions in 2 dimensions include projectile motion, where the position of an object is described by the function r(t) = ; electric and magnetic fields, which can be represented by vector functions E(x,y) and B(x,y); and velocity and acceleration, which can be expressed as vector functions v(t) and a(t).

4. How is a vector function in 2 dimensions different from a scalar function?

A vector function in 2 dimensions differs from a scalar function in that it produces a vector output instead of a scalar output. This means that a vector function takes into account both magnitude and direction, while a scalar function only considers magnitude.

5. What are the applications of vector functions in 2 dimensions?

Vector functions in 2 dimensions have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, describe electric and magnetic fields, and solve problems involving forces and velocities. They are also used in computer graphics to create visual effects and animations.