Find the Minimum Initial Acceleration for a Jumbo Jet Takeoff | Homework Help

• Thread starter emyt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, to find the minimum initial acceleration required for a jumbo jet to reach a final velocity of 360 km/h on a 1.8 km long runway, the formula V1^2 = V0^2 + 2a(x-x0) can be used. The acceleration should be calculated in meters per second squared, so the distance must be converted to meters and time must be in seconds. This will result in an equation of 10000 = 0 + 3600a, which can be solved to find the minimum initial acceleration needed. Remember to ensure consistent units when using formulas.
emyt

Homework Statement

In order for a jumbo jet to take off, it must reach a final velocity of 360 km/h. Given that it moves at a constant acceleration and that the runway is 1.8 km long, find the minimum initial acceleration required to reach the final velocity. The jet starts at rest.

Homework Equations

V1^2 = V0^2 + 2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting the given values into this equation and nothing sensible happened. The acceleration is constant, so it should be the same at any point. Also, the jet starts at rest, so the velocity at time 0 is 0.

I don't know what's going on, please help

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is to be done in the x coordinate.

360km/h = 100m/s = V(final), distance = 1800m

Given that, and the formula "V1^2 = V0^2 + 2a(x-x0) ", you should be able to find acceleration.

Which should be: 10000 = 0 + 3600a

I put the same thing in terms of kilometers and meters, what's the difference?

thanks

The units have to be consistent, acceleration = m/(s^2), so when plugging into the formula, length has to be in meters, and time has to be in seconds.

ah right. thanks.. I was suspicious of that..

this might sound stupid, but what's the easiest way to convert something into something else?

thanks

Last edited:

Related to Find the Minimum Initial Acceleration for a Jumbo Jet Takeoff | Homework Help

1. What does "simple question but stuck" mean?

"Simple question but stuck" is a common phrase used to express frustration or confusion when faced with a seemingly easy question or problem that you are unable to solve.

2. How do I get "unstuck" when faced with a simple question?

There are a few strategies you can try when faced with a simple question that you are stuck on. First, take a step back and try to approach the question from a different angle. You can also break the question down into smaller parts or do some additional research to gain a better understanding. It can also be helpful to ask for assistance from a friend or colleague.

3. Why do I struggle with simple questions?

There could be a variety of reasons why you may struggle with simple questions. It could be due to a lack of understanding or knowledge on the topic, difficulty with critical thinking and problem-solving skills, or feeling overwhelmed or stressed. It's important to identify the root cause in order to develop strategies for improvement.

4. How can I improve my ability to answer simple questions?

Improving your ability to answer simple questions can involve practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, building your knowledge and understanding of different topics, and seeking guidance and feedback from others. It's also important to have a growth mindset and be open to learning and making mistakes.

5. Can simple questions also have complex answers?

Yes, simple questions can often have complex answers. This is because simple questions often involve underlying concepts or principles that require a deeper understanding to fully comprehend. Additionally, simple questions can have multiple layers or perspectives that may contribute to a more complex answer.