Find the minimum sum of a series of equations

In summary, the value of x1 and x2 where (S0 + S1 + S2) has the minimum value is determined by the second derivatives of T with respect to x1 and x2.
alexleong
I’m dealing with a series of equations to find out the values of x1 and x2 so that the sum of S0+S1+...+Sn will have the minimum value.
The x1 and x2 values are limited to –1<x1<1 and –1<x2<1.

S0 = 0
S1 = a1 – [B(1 – x1) + a0* x1 – S0*x2]
S2 = a2 – [B(1 – x1) + a1* x1 – S1*x2]
S3 = a3 – [B(1 – x1) + a2* x1 – S2*x2]
S4 = a4 – [B(1 – x1) + a3* x1 – S3*x2]
S5 = a5 – [B(1 – x1) + a4* x1 – S4*x2]
Sn = an – [B(1 – x1) + an* x1 – Sn-1*x2]
n
T = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Sn
n=1

Where
B is a constant.
T is the minimum sum of the equations.
Sn is the result of each equation.
a0, a1, a2...,an are the coefficients of the equation.

Hope you understand my question and thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see. Let me see:

S0 = 0
S1 = a1 – [B(1 – x1) + a0* x1 – S0*x2] = a1 - [B(1 – x1) + a0* x1]=
= (a1 - B) + (B - a0) * x1

Assume n = 1.

T = S1 = ((a1 - B) + (B - a0) * x1

This is a polynomial of first degree in x1. It has a minimum at x1 = + or -1 depending on the sign of B - a0.

Now calculate S2:

S2 = a2 – [B(1 – x1) + a1* x1 – S1*x2] =
= a2 – [B(1 – x1) + a1* x1 – ((a1 - B) + (B - a0) * x1)*x2] =
= a2 - B + (B+a1)*x1 + (a1 - b) * x2 + (B - a0) * x1 * x2

and for n = 2 T will be a polynom of second degree in x1 and x2. (the second degree comes from the product x1 * x2)

Similarly for higher n. The result, T, is a polynom in x1 and x2. It is not that difficult to find a minimum of such a polynom.

Anything else?

hi Tomy,
First of all, thanks for your prompt reply. I still not quite get what you meant, how do I know the values of x1 and x2 where (S0 + S1 + S2) is the minimum? Please show me a simple example, let n = 2
S0 = 0
S1 = (a1 - B) + (B - a0)*x1
S2 = a2 - B + (B - a1)*x1 + (a1 - B)*x2 + (B - a0)*x1*x2

S0+S1+S2 = (a1 - B) + (B - a0)*x1 + a2 - B + (B - a1)*x1 + (a1 - B)*x2 + (B - a0)*x1*x2

Thanks

Ok, so let me look at the case of n = 2. Consider function T of variables x1 and x2. From analysis of function of several variables we know that this function attains an extremum (that is either a minimum or maximum) only if the partial derivatives of T with respect of x1 and x2 vanish:

dT/dx1 = 0
dT/dx2 = 0

In your case T is a polynom linear in x1 and x2 but it has a term that is x1*x2.

To decide whether this extremum is a minimum or maximum we have to look at the second derivatives. Again from analysis of functions of several variables we know that function T has a minimum if see "[URL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_partial_derivative_test.[/URL]

Can you continue from here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Find the minimum sum of a series of equations

1. What is the purpose of finding the minimum sum of a series of equations?

The purpose of finding the minimum sum of a series of equations is to determine the smallest possible value that can be obtained from a given set of equations. This can be useful in various fields of science, such as optimization problems in mathematics or determining the most efficient experimental conditions in chemistry.

2. How do you find the minimum sum of a series of equations?

To find the minimum sum of a series of equations, you can use various methods such as the gradient descent algorithm, the simplex method, or the Newton-Raphson method. These methods involve iteratively solving the equations to approach the minimum value.

3. Can the minimum sum of a series of equations be negative?

Yes, the minimum sum of a series of equations can be negative. This means that the smallest possible value obtained from the equations is less than zero. It is important to consider the context of the equations and the problem being solved to determine if a negative minimum sum is valid.

4. Are there any limitations to finding the minimum sum of a series of equations?

Yes, there can be limitations to finding the minimum sum of a series of equations. Some equations may not have a minimum value, or the minimum value may be impossible to reach. Additionally, the complexity and number of equations can also affect the accuracy and efficiency of finding the minimum sum.

5. How can finding the minimum sum of a series of equations be applied in real-world situations?

Finding the minimum sum of a series of equations has various real-world applications, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, it can be used to determine the minimum cost for producing a certain quantity of goods. In engineering, it can be used to optimize the design of a product. In physics, it can be used to determine the most stable state of a system.