Find the modulus and argument of a complex number

In summary: This is incorrect. To correct this, you can either multiply all the factors in the numerator and denominator and then do the division, or rewrite each complex number in polar form and perform the calculations.
javii

Homework Statement

Find the modulus and argument of

z=((1+2i)^2 * (4-3i)^3) / ((3+4i)^4 * (2-i)^3

Homework Equations

mod(z)=sqrt(a^2+b^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the modulus, I have to use the formula below. But I'm struggling with finding out how to put the equation in the formula:
I have attached a photo of how I did it so far. But unfortunately, it does not give sence.

Attachments

• problem math.PNG
    problem math.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
javii said:

Homework Statement

Find the modulus and argument of

z=((1+2i)^2 * (4-3i)^3) / ((3+4i)^4 * (2-i)^3

Homework Equations

mod(z)=sqrt(a^2+b^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the modulus, I have to use the formula below. But I'm struggling with finding out how to put the equation in the formula:
I have attached a photo of how I did it so far. But unfortunately, it does not give sence.
You could just multiply all of the factors in the numerator, and the factors in the denominator, and then do the division.
OR, you could rewrite each complex number in polar form and then do the multiplications and division.

javii said:

Homework Equations

mod(z)=sqrt(a^2+b^2)

To calculate the modulus, you have to add the square of both the real and imaginary parts. But you subtracted them in the denominator.

Related to Find the modulus and argument of a complex number

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the point on the complex plane represented by the number. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts, or |a + bi| = √(a² + b²).

3. How do you find the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the point on the complex plane represented by the number. It is calculated using the inverse tangent function, or arg(a + bi) = tan⁻¹(b/a).

4. Why is it important to find the modulus and argument of a complex number?

The modulus and argument of a complex number provide important information about its magnitude and direction on the complex plane. They are essential in performing operations on complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

5. Can the modulus and argument of a complex number be negative?

No, the modulus and argument of a complex number are always positive values. This is because they represent distance and angle, which cannot be negative. However, the real and imaginary parts of a complex number can be negative.