Find the number of pairs of consecutive integers

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the set of integers from 1000 to 2000 has 156 pairs of consecutive numbers that can be added without carrying. This is determined by considering the first digit to be 1 and the remaining digits to be any number from 0 to 4. Additionally, cases where the last digit is 9 or the last two digits are 99 also add to the total. So, the final answer is 156 pairs.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Consider the set of integers ${1000,1001,1002,...1998,1999,2000}$.

There are times when a pair of consecutive integers can be added without "carrying": $1213 + 1214$ requires no carrying, whereas $1217 + 1218$ does require carrying.

For how many pairs of consecutive integers is no carrying required when the two numbers are added?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Find the number of paris of consecutive integers

anemone said:
Consider the set of integers ${1000,1001,1002,...1998,1999,2000}$.

There are times when a pair of consecutive integers can be added without "carrying": $1213 + 1214$ requires no carrying, whereas $1217 + 1218$ does require carrying.

For how many pairs of consecutive integers is no carrying required when the two numbers are added?

For no carrying the 1st number cannot have a digit > = 5

so 1st digit = 1
2nd , 3rd and 4th digits =0 to 4 (any) = 5 choices

so number of pairs of numbers = 1 * 5 ^3 = 125

kaliprasad said:

so 1st digit = 1

What a great idea to tackle the problem!(Clapping) Well done, kaliprasad! (Sun)

kaliprasad said:

so 1st digit = 1

Neat solution! But I think there are a few other cases to add to the total, such as
Code:
1009     1999
1010     2000
____     ____
2019     3999
Those additions don't involve any carrying.

Oops!

First, I want to ask for forgiveness for saying kaliprasad's answer is correct without checking if it matched the correct answer...this isn't the first time I have made such a mistake, so I apologize for this and I want to also thank Opalg for chiming in and letting us know some cases are left out in the method submitted by our kind and capable user, kaliprasad.

Second, I see that the omitted cases may be determined if we consider the following three cases:

Case(I):

If we have the figure $9$ as the last digit, we see that we could have the following combination such that when we add two consecutive pairs of integers and no carrying is required, i.e. 1 _ _ 9,

we see that the second and third digit can be filled by any numbers from the set $\{0, 1, 2, 3, 4\}$, thus the number of cases that we obtained here is $5(5)=25$.Case(II):

If we have the double digit 9 as the last two digits, i.e. 1 _ 9 9, then the cases that will meet the requirement of the problem or the only candidate that can fill the second digit must come from the set ${0, 1, 2, 3, 4}$, therefore we get $5$ additional candidates from this case.Case(III):

For the last case, we have the configuration of 1 9 9 9 and obviously the only way to add two pairs of consecutive integers without carrying is when we add 1999 and 2000, so we have only one case here.

All in all, the total number $N$ of pairs of consecutive integers that when added involve no "carrying" is:

$N=125+25+5+1=156$.

FAQ: Find the number of pairs of consecutive integers

1. How do you find the number of pairs of consecutive integers?

To find the number of pairs of consecutive integers, you can start by listing out all possible pairs and counting them. Alternatively, you can use the formula n-1, where n is the total number of consecutive integers. This formula is based on the fact that each consecutive pair will have one less number than the total number of integers.

2. Can you provide an example of finding the number of pairs of consecutive integers?

Sure, let's say we have the consecutive integers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Using the formula mentioned above, we can calculate the number of pairs to be 6-1 = 5. The pairs would be (1, 2), (2, 3), (3, 4), (4, 5), and (5, 6).

3. How is finding the number of pairs of consecutive integers useful in scientific research?

In scientific research, finding the number of pairs of consecutive integers can be useful in many ways. It can help to identify patterns and relationships between consecutive numbers, which can lead to new discoveries and insights. It can also be used as a tool for data analysis and calculations in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

4. Is there a difference between consecutive and non-consecutive integers when finding the number of pairs?

Yes, there is a difference. Consecutive integers are numbers that follow each other in order, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Non-consecutive integers, on the other hand, are numbers that do not follow each other in order, such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9. When finding the number of pairs, we are specifically looking at consecutive pairs, not all possible pairs.

5. Can this method be applied to finding the number of pairs in a set of non-integer numbers?

No, this method is specifically for finding the number of pairs of consecutive integers. To find the number of pairs in a set of non-integer numbers, a different formula or method would need to be used.