Find the only value of N which satisfies all of the following

• MHB
  • Thread starter lmae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the question asks for a single value of N that meets all of the given conditions: N is a natural number, 10<N≤20, N is even, N/4 is an integer, square root of N is an irrational number, and N is a multiple of 5.
lmae
With full working, find the only value of N which satisfies ALL of the following conditions.

N is a natural number
10<N less than or equal to 20
N is even
N/4 is an integer
Square root of N is an irrational number
N is a multiple of 5

Does anyone understand this question and could work it out for me please?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lmae said:
With full working, find the only value of N which satisfies ALL of the following conditions.

N is a natural number
N is even
N/4 is an integer
N is a multiple of 5

Hi, lmae!

There are not many natural numbers between 10 and 20. They are 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20. For each of those numbers, verify the other conditions. For example, is 11 even? Is 12/4 an integer?

Also please read the forum http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/, especially rule #11. (Click on the "Expand" button on top.) Please describe what exactly help you need. Saying "I don't understand this question" is not informative. Saying "I don't know what irrational numbers are" is much better.

Hi lmae. The following was posted in the duplicate thread you posted in calculus (which I have since deleted):

Evgeny.Makarov said:
If you need to ask the moderators to move a post, click on the black triangle with an exclamation mark on the left under the post and describe what needs to be done. I have done it for you in this instance.

Please try to avoid posting duplicates. If you have problems follow the above advice and we'll take care of it. Thanks guys. :)

lmae said:
Do you understand what the words used here mean?

N is a natural number
so 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...

So, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20

N is even
So 12, 14, 16, 18, or 20

N/4 is an integer
12/4= 3, 14/4= 3 and 1/2, 16/4= 4, 18/4= 4 and 1/2, 20/4= 5
so 12, 16, or 20

square root of 12= 2 times square root of 3 so irrational. square root of 16= 4. square root of 20= 2 times square root of 5 so irrational.
So 12 or 20.

N is a multiple of 5
12= 2*2*3, 20= 2*2*5.

Hi.

I understood each of the different parts but didn't understand what the question was asking of me as a whole, hence the way I worded the question. And I apologise for double posting my question, I did edit it to say I posted in wrong thread and wasn't sure how to delete. Thanks for the help.

lmae said:
I understood each of the different parts but didn't understand what the question was asking of me as a whole, hence the way I worded the question.
I think it is pretty clear: "Find the only value of N which satisfies ALL of the following conditions". I hope you understand the question now.

Related to Find the only value of N which satisfies all of the following

1. What is the purpose of "Find the only value of N which satisfies all of the following"?

The purpose of this task is to determine the specific value of N that can fulfill all of the given conditions or requirements. This value is often referred to as the "solution" or the only valid answer to the problem.

2. How do I know if I have found the correct value of N?

If you have correctly solved the problem, the value of N that you have determined should satisfy all of the given conditions or requirements. You can double-check your answer by plugging in the value of N into the given equations or statements to see if they hold true.

3. Are there any specific rules or methods to follow when solving this type of problem?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies that can be used to solve these types of problems. Some common approaches include substitution, elimination, and graphing. It is important to carefully read and understand the given conditions and use logical reasoning to determine the value of N.

4. Can there be more than one value of N that satisfies all of the conditions?

No, by definition, the task is to find the "only" value of N that can satisfy all of the given conditions. If there are multiple values that work, then the problem may need to be re-evaluated or clarified.

5. What happens if I cannot find a value of N that satisfies all of the conditions?

If you are unable to find a value of N that fulfills all of the given conditions, it is possible that the problem may be unsolvable or that there is a mistake in the given information. It may be helpful to check your work and try different approaches to see if a solution can be found.