Find the Optimal Route for the Messenger: 5km Beach Journey

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a messenger on a ship trying to determine the fastest route to a town located 5 km away on a beach. The messenger can travel at a speed of 3 km/h on water and 5 km/h on land. The solution involves setting up a right triangle and using Pythagoras' theorem to find the total time, which can then be differentiated to find the x value for the minimum time. However, this method may not be allowed in some countries and an alternative method may be needed.
leprofece
A Ship anchored to 6 Km from a beach rectilinue, (infront of a town, located on the beach. A Messenger, in the? in?
in the manor as long as possible, from the ship until a position B, located on the beach. The Messenger leaves the ship in a Rowing boat and can develop a speed 3 km/h, and is known that on the beach can walk at a rate of 5 kph. find out where should get land if you know that ithe distance AB 5 Km?.
answer 1,5 km before get after doing similar problem I must do a plot ok and i get t = t1 + t2
then frac{x}{3}+\frac{y}{5}
Bc = 5 -\sqrt{x^2-6 }
I got x/3-\frac{x}{\5sqrt{x^2-6}}
derivating \frac{1}{3}-5sqrt{x^2-6}
But I don't get the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
leprofece said:
A Ship anchored to 6 Km from a beach rectilinue, (infront of a town, located on the beach. A Messenger, in the? in?
in the manor as long as possible, from the ship until a position B, located on the beach. The Messenger leaves the ship in a Rowing boat and can develop a speed 3 km/h, and is known that on the beach can walk at a rate of 5 kph. find out where should get land if you know that ithe distance AB 5 Km?.
answer 1,5 km before get after doing similar problem I must do a plot ok and i get t = t1 + t2
then frac{x}{3}+\frac{y}{5}
Bc = 5 -\sqrt{x^2-6 }
I got x/3-\frac{x}{\5sqrt{x^2-6}}
derivating \frac{1}{3}-5sqrt{x^2-6}
But I don't get the answer

Your setup has a lot of mistakes. In your drawing you should have a vertical line that is 6 units long and a horizontal line that is 5 units long. Somewhere on the horizontal line you choose a point to draw another line to the top of the vertical line. This distance away from B we will call x, so the remaining part of the horizontal line is ( 5 - x ).

Notice that you now have a right angle triangle, so the hypotenuse can be found using Pythagoras as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{ 6^2 + (5 - x)^2 } = \sqrt{36 + 25 - 10x + x^2} = \sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61} \end{align*}$.

The distance traveled on land is x, if done at 5 km/h, it takes x/5 hours.

The distance traveled on water is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61} \end{align*}$, if done at 3 km/h, it takes $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$ hours.

So the total time is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{3} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$

This is what you need to differentiate, set equal to 0, etc to find the x value to get the minimum time.

You may find this thread to be of interest:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/using-snells-law-determine-fastest-escape-route-4178.html

Prove It said:
Your setup has a lot of mistakes. In your drawing you should have a vertical line that is 6 units long and a horizontal line that is 5 units long. Somewhere on the horizontal line you choose a point to draw another line to the top of the vertical line. This distance away from B we will call x, so the remaining part of the horizontal line is ( 5 - x ).

Notice that you now have a right angle triangle, so the hypotenuse can be found using Pythagoras as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{ 6^2 + (5 - x)^2 } = \sqrt{36 + 25 - 10x + x^2} = \sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61} \end{align*}$.

The distance traveled on land is x, if done at 5 km/h, it takes x/5 hours.

The distance traveled on water is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61} \end{align*}$, if done at 3 km/h, it takes $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$ hours.

So the total time is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{3} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$

This is what you need to differentiate, set equal to 0, etc to find the x value to get the minimum time.

I think something is wrong
why do you write the same denominator?
when I derive this I got \frac{1}{3}+\frac{x-5}{sqrt{x^2-10x+61}
}
When I equated to 0 this I got (x-5)^2 = x^2-10x+61
Ichecked it in wolpfrang alpha and we got a complex root

And my secon doubt is why don't you write 3 and 5 in denominator?? I mean

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{3} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{5} \end{align*}$

Deriving this that I got x = 16,6 after equating to 0

Deriving if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{5} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$
I got 18,6,3
if I introduce this in $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{5} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$
I got x= 7,05
And I don't get 400/3 yhat is the right answer
By the method that sugested markflo it isnot allowed in my country in this level

Last edited:
Let's see what we get if we apply the first method to which I linked, which I derived using only calculus and trigonometry, which must be allowed here. :D

The distance (in km) we want is:

\(\displaystyle x=5-6\cot\left(\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{3}{5}\right)\right)=5-6\cdot\frac{3}{4}=\frac{1}{2}\)

You cited an answer of:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\)

But, if you take the time function Prove It gave (after correcting for the minor typo), which is:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{x}{5}+\frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3}\)

differentiate with respect to $x$, equate to zero, and discard the solution outside the desired range, you find:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{2}\)

You say you got 7.05 (which is not in the desired range) but you don't show what you did. I suggest differentiating again, and if you do not get the correct answer, post your work so we can find where you are going wrong. :D

leprofece said:
I think something is wrong
why do you write the same denominator?
when I derive this I got \frac{1}{3}+\frac{x-5}{sqrt{x^2-10x+61}
}
When I equated to 0 this I got (x-5)^2 = x^2-10x+61
Ichecked it in wolpfrang alpha and we got a complex root

And my secon doubt is why don't you write 3 and 5 in denominator?? I mean

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{3} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{5} \end{align*}$

Deriving this that I got x = 16,6 after equating to 0

Deriving if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{5} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$
I got 18,6,3
if I introduce this in $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \frac{x}{5} + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3} \end{align*}$
I got x= 7,05
And I don't get 400/3 yhat is the right answer
By the method that sugested markflo it isnot allowed in my country in this level

Yes that was just a typo, the first term is x/5.

MarkFL said:
Let's see what we get if we apply the first method to which I linked, which I derived using only calculus and trigonometry, which must be allowed here. :D

The distance (in km) we want is:

\(\displaystyle x=5-6\cot\left(\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{3}{5}\right)\right)=5-6\cdot\frac{3}{4}=\frac{1}{2}\)

You cited an answer of:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\)

But, if you take the time function Prove It gave (after correcting for the minor typo), which is:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{x}{5}+\frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3}\)

differentiate with respect to $x$, equate to zero, and discard the solution outside the desired range, you find:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{2}\)

You say you got 7.05 (which is not in the desired range) but you don't show what you did. I suggest differentiating again, and if you do not get the correct answer, post your work so we can find where you are going wrong. :D

greetings markflo how are you ?'
Right I got 1/2 and then may I substitute in \(\displaystyle t=\frac{x}{5}+\frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 10x + 61}}{3}\) to get the right answer ??
Ok I tried and I didnt got 400/3 my total time was 38/5
so where must I substitute or introduce 1/2?

Last edited:
Hello! I am fine, how about you?

Doesn't that supposedly correct time of \(\displaystyle \frac{400}{3}\text{ hr}\) seem outrageously high to you? Even if the entire journey was across water it would only take slightly longer than the minimum time possible, which is 2.6 hours. And it would take 3 hours if the person in the boat headed straight for the shore. How could it possible take 133 hours 20 minutes?

I get:

\(\displaystyle t_{\min}=t\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=\frac{13}{5}\text{ hr}\)

By the way, in your working you should demonstrate that the critical value is at a local minimum. :D

MarkFL said:
Hello! I am fine, how about you?

Doesn't that supposedly correct time of \(\displaystyle \frac{400}{3}\text{ hr}\) seem outrageously high to you? Even if the entire journey was across water it would only take slightly longer than the minimum time possible, which is 2.6 hours. And it would take 3 hours if the person in the boat headed straight for the shore. How could it possible take 133 hours 20 minutes?

I get:

\(\displaystyle t_{\min}=t\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=\frac{13}{5}\text{ hr}\)

By the way, in your working you should demonstrate that the critical value is at a local minimum. :D

I am not asked the tme but find out where should get land if you know that ithe distance AB 5 Km?.
answer 1,5 km before getting or reaching B
I get confused and it is not 400/3
in fact the answer is in kilometers no
in hours

Haven't we already established that the point at which we should land is 1/2 km from B?

MarkFL said:
Haven't we already established that the point at which we should land is 1/2 km from B?

0.5 km y no 1,5 km

If I introduce 0.5 in {\frac{ \sqrt(x^2-10x+61) }{5}}
iGet the 1,5 Km
and also 6- 4,5 = 1,5
what do you think??

Last edited:

Related to Find the Optimal Route for the Messenger: 5km Beach Journey

1. How do you determine the optimal route for the messenger's 5km beach journey?

The optimal route for the messenger's 5km beach journey is determined through a combination of factors, including distance, terrain, and potential obstacles. This can be done using mapping and navigation tools, as well as considering the physical abilities of the messenger.

2. What are some challenges that may affect the optimal route for the messenger?

Some challenges that may affect the optimal route for the messenger include weather conditions, physical obstacles such as rocks or steep inclines, and the presence of other individuals or groups on the beach. It is important to consider these factors when determining the best route.

3. How does the distance of the journey impact the optimal route?

The distance of the journey can impact the optimal route in several ways. A longer distance may require the messenger to conserve energy and choose a more direct route, while a shorter distance may allow for more flexibility in choosing a route with better terrain or fewer obstacles.

4. Is there a specific strategy for finding the optimal route for the messenger's journey?

There is no one specific strategy for finding the optimal route for the messenger's journey. It may involve a combination of mapping and navigation tools, as well as considering the physical abilities of the messenger and potential challenges along the way. Flexibility and adaptability are key in finding the best route.

5. How can you ensure the safety of the messenger while finding the optimal route?

Ensuring the safety of the messenger while finding the optimal route is crucial. This can be done by carefully assessing potential risks and challenges, choosing a route that is within the physical capabilities of the messenger, and regularly checking in with the messenger during the journey. It is also important to have a contingency plan in case of emergency.