Find the order of a k cycle in group Sn

In summary, we can prove that a k-cycle in the group Sn has order k by showing that for any element in the cycle, after performing k compositions, the element returns to its original position. This can be expressed as f^k =(1), proving that the order of f is k.
tehme2

Homework Statement

Prove that a k-cycle in the group Sn has order k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mostly confused on how to write this in math notation. I know it will have order k because a1 → a2 → a3 ... ak-1 → ak → a1 if we do the compositions K times. and so everything will get mapped back to itself and hence we have the identity permutation.

Let f = (a1,a2,a3...,ak)
then f(a1) = a2 this is the original permutation
then if we do the compoisition of f o f we have
a1 → a3 , a2→ a4. .. etc. so f^2(a1) = a3
then if we do f o f o f we have a1 → a4 so
f^3(a1) = f(a3) = a4
f^k(a1) = f(ak) = a1
and this process would hold for any element in f, so we see that f^k =(1) , and so f has order of K. therefore any k cycle group in Sn has order K.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. I guess you're looking for a more concise way of stating this fact though? You could show that for any [itex] i \in \{1,\ldots, k \} [/itex] that
[tex] f^n(a_i) = a_{i + n \mod k}[/tex]
which is just what you said in more words in your post. This holds for any i, so [itex] f^k(a_i) = a_{i+k \mod k} = a_{i} [/itex], and we conclude that the order of f divides k. All you have to claim is that k is in fact the smallest number and hence is the order. But I think that this is evident.

FAQ: Find the order of a k cycle in group Sn

1. What is the definition of a k cycle in group Sn?

A k cycle in group Sn is a permutation that cyclically moves k elements within a set of n elements. In other words, it is a permutation that rearranges k elements in a specific order while leaving the remaining n-k elements unchanged.

2. How do you find the order of a k cycle in group Sn?

To find the order of a k cycle in group Sn, you need to find the least common multiple of k and n. This is because a k cycle will repeat itself after k steps, but it will also repeat itself after n steps since the remaining n-k elements are unchanged. The least common multiple of k and n will give you the number of steps required for the k cycle to repeat itself, thus giving you its order.

3. Can a k cycle have an order greater than n?

No, a k cycle in group Sn can never have an order greater than n. This is because the maximum number of steps required for a k cycle to repeat itself is n. After n steps, all elements in the set will have returned to their original positions, and the cycle will start over again. Therefore, the order of a k cycle can only be a factor of n.

4. How does the order of a k cycle affect the group Sn?

The order of a k cycle does not affect the group Sn as a whole. It only affects the elements within the group that are involved in the k cycle. The order of the group Sn is determined by the number of elements in the set, which is n. The order of a k cycle does not change the overall structure or properties of the group.

5. Can a group Sn have more than one k cycle with the same order?

Yes, a group Sn can have multiple k cycles with the same order. This is because the order of a k cycle is determined by the least common multiple of k and n. Therefore, if there are multiple values of k and n that have the same least common multiple, there will be multiple k cycles with the same order. However, these k cycles may have different elements involved and different starting positions, making them unique within the group.