Find the Perfect Heat Sink: Closed Four-Sided Design with Open Ends

In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for a specific type of heat sink with closed sides and open ends. The person suggested doing a Google Images search for "aluminum extrusion" to find similar products. There was a discussion about the effectiveness of the heat sink design and suggestions to specify the power dissipation and device being used for optimal heat sink selection.
JerryG
I am trying to find a certain type of heat sink. I am looking for these heat sinks that are closed on four sides with open ends as shown in the picture. Can anybody tell me what these are called or where I can purchase them?

heat-sink.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
They look like extruded aluminum heatsiinks. Yours don't seem to have as many cooling fins as the usual designs. Are those rails just transferring the heat to the "real" heatsink mounted on top of them?

Do a google images search on "aluminum extrusion".

You have not shown how the inside looks like, it is very hard to judge.
Do you really need to have it like this. I think I know what the box is, it's some type of enclosure that has very short fins inside. If so, it's not the best of heat dissipation. I think if you use a real heat sink, you don't need to be this fancy to have a tube like box and fan.

You need to specify what is the power dissipation, what device you use to see what is the best heat sink.

Related to Find the Perfect Heat Sink: Closed Four-Sided Design with Open Ends

1. What is a heat sink?

A heat sink is a component that is used to dissipate heat generated by electronic devices. It typically has a large surface area and is made of a material with high thermal conductivity, such as aluminum or copper.

2. Why do I need a heat sink?

Electronic devices generate heat when they are in use, and if this heat is not properly dissipated, it can lead to damage and malfunctioning of the device. A heat sink helps to draw heat away from the device and dissipate it into the surrounding environment, ensuring the device operates at a safe temperature.

3. How do I choose the right heat sink for my device?

When choosing a heat sink, you need to consider factors such as the amount of heat generated by your device, the size and shape of the heat sink, and the thermal conductivity of the material. It's best to consult with a thermal engineer or refer to the device's specifications to determine the appropriate heat sink for your device.

4. Can I use any type of heat sink for my device?

No, it's important to choose a heat sink that is specifically designed for your device and its thermal requirements. Using an incompatible heat sink can result in inadequate heat dissipation and potential damage to your device.

5. How do I install a heat sink?

The installation process for a heat sink may vary depending on the device and heat sink type. Generally, you will need to apply a thermal interface material (such as thermal paste) between the heat sink and the device, and then securely attach the heat sink to the device using screws or clips. It's best to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation steps.