Find the perimeter of the triangle

This can be easily seen by substituting these values into the inequality and simplifying it. It is also worth mentioning that this is a special case of the Pythagorean theorem, where the shortest sides are the legs of the triangle and the longest side is the hypotenuse. Therefore, the perimeter of the triangle would be $3\sqrt{2} + 2\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{3^2 + 2^2} = 3\sqrt{2}
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
The two shortest sides of a right-angled triangle, $a$ and $b$ satisfy the inequality \(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2-6a\sqrt{2}+19}+\sqrt{b^2-4b\sqrt{3}+16}\le3\).

Find the perimeter of this triangle.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
The two shortest sides of a right-angled triangle, $a$ and $b$ satisfy the inequality \(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2-6a\sqrt{2}+19}+\sqrt{b^2-4b\sqrt{3}+16}\le3\).

Find the perimeter of this triangle.

=> sqrt((a - 3 sqrt(2))^2 + 1) + sqrt((b - 2 sqrt(3))^2 + 4) < = 3

possible onlly if a = 3 sqrt(2) and b = 2 sqrt(3)

so c(diagonal) = sqrt(30)

so perimeter = 3 sqrt(2) + 2 sqrt(3) + sqrt(30)

- - - Updated - - -

kaliprasad said:
=> sqrt((a - 3 sqrt(2))^2 + 1) + sqrt((b - 2 sqrt(3))^2 + 4) < = 3

possible onlly if a = 3 sqrt(2) and b = 2 sqrt(3)

Hi kaliprasad,

Thanks for participating and I think it's necessary to state why the given inequality is true iff $a = 3 \sqrt{2}$ and $b = 2 \sqrt{3}$, what do you think?

Or perhaps it's very obvious and it's just me don't see how it is so?(Tongueout)

anemone said:
Hi kaliprasad,

Thanks for participating and I think it's necessary to state why the given inequality is true iff $a = 3 \sqrt{2}$ and $b = 2 \sqrt{3}$, what do you think?

Or perhaps it's very obvious and it's just me don't see how it is so?(Tongueout)

I think I owe an explanation
sqrt((a - 3 sqrt(2))^2 + 1) + sqrt((b - 2 sqrt(3))^2 + 4) < = 3

now we are having

sqrt(1 + x) + sqrt(4 + y) <= 3 with x,y > 0

if x = 0 and y =0 then LHS = 3
if x > 0 then y = 0 then LHS = 2 + sqrt(1+x) > 2 + 1 > 3
similarly for y > 0 and for x and y > 0 LHS > 3

x = (a - 3 sqrt(2))^2
y = (b - 2 sqrt(3))^2

or

lowest value of LHS = 3 when - (a - 3 sqrt(2))= 0 and (b - 2 sqrt(3)) = 0 then only condition is satisfied

I would first clarify that the given inequality is not enough information to determine the exact values of $a$ and $b$, and therefore the perimeter of the triangle cannot be accurately calculated. However, assuming that the given inequality is true, we can make some general observations about the perimeter of the triangle.

Since the given triangle is a right-angled triangle, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the third side, $c$, as $c = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}$. Therefore, the perimeter of the triangle can be expressed as $P = a + b + \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}$.

Based on the given inequality, we can make some general statements about the possible values of $a$ and $b$. For example, we know that both $a$ and $b$ must be positive in order for the square roots to be real. Additionally, since the square root expressions must be less than or equal to 3, we can set up the following inequalities:

$\sqrt{a^2-6a\sqrt{2}+19} \le 3$ and $\sqrt{b^2-4b\sqrt{3}+16} \le 3$

Solving these inequalities, we get $a \ge 3$ and $b \ge 4$. This means that the perimeter of the triangle must be greater than or equal to $3 + 4 + \sqrt{3^2 + 4^2} = 15$. However, without knowing the exact values of $a$ and $b$, we cannot determine the exact perimeter of the triangle.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would note that the given inequality provides some constraints on the possible values of $a$ and $b$, but it is not enough information to accurately determine the perimeter of the triangle. Further information or equations would be needed to find the exact perimeter.

FAQ: Find the perimeter of the triangle

1. What is the perimeter of a triangle?

The perimeter of a triangle is the total distance around the outside of the triangle. It is calculated by adding together the lengths of all three sides of the triangle.

2. How do you find the perimeter of a triangle?

To find the perimeter of a triangle, you need to measure the length of each of the three sides and then add them together. Alternatively, if you know the length of two sides and the angle between them, you can use the Law of Cosines to find the length of the third side and then add all three lengths together.

3. Can you find the perimeter of a triangle if you only know the lengths of two sides?

Yes, you can use the Law of Cosines to find the length of the third side and then add all three lengths together to find the perimeter.

4. What units are used to measure the perimeter of a triangle?

The perimeter of a triangle can be measured in any unit of length, such as centimeters, meters, feet, or inches. It is important to make sure that all three sides are measured in the same unit before adding them together.

5. Why is it important to find the perimeter of a triangle?

Finding the perimeter of a triangle is important because it helps us understand the size and shape of the triangle. It is also a fundamental step in many geometrical calculations, such as finding the area or the angles of a triangle.