Find the possible outcomes of ]##L^2## and ##L_{z}##

keyzan
TL;DR Summary: Find the possible outcomes of ]##L^2## and ##L_{z}## and their respective probabilities of an electron of an idrogen athom with function:
##\psi(r) = ze^{-\alpha r}##

Hi guys, I have a problem with this exercise.

The electron of a hydrogen atom is found with direct spin along the z axis in a state with an orbital wave function:

##\psi(r) = ze^{-\alpha r}##

with alpha greater than zero. The first exercise asks: find the possible outcomes of ]##L^2## and ##L_{z}## and their respective probabilities.

My solution:
First of all I have to write the function as the product of a radius function multiplied by a spherical harmonic. So I have:

##\psi(r) = r \cos{\theta} \text{ } e^{-\alpha r} = \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{3}} \Upsilon^{0}_{1} \text{ } \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\alpha^{3}}} \varphi_{2,1}##

Here I deduced that the radial part has quantum numbers ##n=2## and ##l=1##, because the coefficient is a power of ##1## and starts from ##r^{1}## and therefore ##n=2## and ##l=1##, but in reality this would be if we had a stationary state, but it is not since we have an ##\alpha## in the argument of the exponential. Can I still write this function with these quantum numbers or is it an error and should I consider a linear combination of radial functions? Any kind of help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: Thread moved to advanced physics homework forum.

keyzan said:
this would be if we had a stationary state, but it is not since we have an ##\alpha## in the argument of the exponential
Why would that make the state not stationary?

PeterDonis said:
It is already a function of ##r## only so what you have is a function of ##r## multiplied by a spherical harmonic function of ##1## (which is not the spherical harmonic you wrote down). What quantum numbers does that correspond to? (They're not the ones you wrote down.)
The original wave function has a factor of ##z##.

vela said:
The original wave function has a factor of ##z##.
What is ##z##?

PeterDonis said:
What is ##z##?
Given the context, I would assume it's the standard cartesian coordinate, which in terms of spherical coordinates is ##z=r\cos\theta##. What did you take it to mean?

vela said:
Given the context, I would assume it's the standard cartesian coordinate, which in terms of spherical coordinates is ##z=r\cos\theta##.
Ah, ok. I had been thinking of atomic number. Normally spherical coordinates are used in these kinds of problems, not cylindrical coordinates, so I wasn't expecting ##z## to be a coordinate.

PeterDonis said:
Why would that make the state not stationary?
It is a steady state just in case ##\alpha = \frac{1}{n a}## Where ##a## is the Bohr radius and in this case ##n=2##. So is a steady state only if ##\alpha = \frac{1}{2a}## In all other cases it is a combination of stationary states.

Would that affect your answers to the questions asked?

vela said:
Would that affect your answers to the questions asked?
Yes, but now how do I find the outcomes of ##L^2## and the probabilities? That is, if I have to write as a linear combination, then I should have as outcomes ##\hbar^2 l (l+1)## for the values ##l=1,2,3,4,..##. But at this point the probabilities are impossible (or very difficult) to find