Find the Power to move a car on an incline

The term you got wrong is "hp" as it should be "horsepower".In summary, the power needed to move a 3000lb car up an 8 degree incline with a constant speed of 50mi/h against a frictionless force of 80lb is 68hp. This can be calculated using the equation P = Fv or by adding the force of 80lb times velocity to the change in potential energy per second.
BSElectrician

Homework Statement

What power is needed to move a 3000lb car up an 8 degree incline with a constant speed of 50mi/h against a frictionless force of 80lb?

ans. 68hp

Homework Equations

[itex]P = Fv[/itex]

1hp = 550 lb-ft/s

The Attempt at a Solution

1st i draw free body diagram
summation of force in the horizontal direction
Fx = 0 = 3000sin(8) + 80 - Fn
Fn = 497.52lb

Power = velocity x force
= (50mi/h)(1/3600s)(1ft/0.3048m)(1000m/1km)(1km/0.62137mi)
= 36,485.56 lb-ft/s
= (36,485.56 lb-ft/s)(1hp/(550lb-ft/s))
= 66.34 horsepower
where did i get wronged?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer you have.

I think your answer is correct. I get the same result either by figuring the forces and multiplying by velocity (as you did) or by using the 80 pound force times velocity added to the change in potential energy per second.

Related to Find the Power to move a car on an incline

1. How does the power of the car affect its ability to move on an incline?

The power of a car is determined by its engine and is usually measured in horsepower. A higher power means the car has a stronger engine and can produce more force to move the car up an incline.

2. What role does gravity play in moving a car on an incline?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the Earth. When a car is on an incline, gravity pulls it downwards, making it more difficult for the car to move up the incline. The power of the car's engine must be strong enough to overcome the force of gravity to move the car up the incline.

3. How does the weight of the car affect its ability to move on an incline?

The weight of the car is a determining factor in how much force is needed to move it on an incline. A heavier car will require more power to move up an incline compared to a lighter car. This is because the force of gravity is greater on a heavier car, making it more difficult to move.

4. Can the angle of the incline affect the power needed to move a car?

Yes, the angle of the incline can greatly impact the power needed to move a car. The steeper the incline, the more power is required to overcome the force of gravity. This is why it may feel more difficult to drive up a steep hill compared to a gradual incline.

5. Are there any other factors besides power that can affect a car's ability to move on an incline?

Besides power, the type of tires and road conditions can also play a role in a car's ability to move on an incline. For example, if the tires are worn out or the road is slippery, it may require more power to move the car on an incline. Additionally, the weight distribution of the car can also affect its ability to move on an incline, as a car with more weight towards the front may have better traction and be easier to move up an incline.