Find the probability of measuring a particle's energy E

In summary, the problem is to find the probability that a measurement of a particle's energy at time t=0 will give the ground state E0 using the overlap rule. The normalized wave functions given are Ψ(x,0) and ψ_0(x). The relevant equation is the overlap integral, with the standard integrals potentially being useful. After going through several steps, it is determined that the final step involves using the fact that ψ_0 is real, so ψ_0^* = ψ_0.
Leechie

Homework Statement

I need to use the overlap rule to find the probability that a measurement of a particle's energy at time t=0 will give the ground state E0

The normalized wave functions I have are:

$$Ψ(x,0)=\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{-ikx-ax^2}$$$$ψ_0(x)=\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{-ax^2}$$

Homework Equations

The overlap integral equation I am trying to use is:
$$p_x=\left|\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}ψ^*_0\left(x\right)Ψ\left(x,0\right)dx\right|^2$$
I've also got the standard integrals which may help:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}$$$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac {k^2}{4}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've gone through the following steps:
$$p_x=\left|\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{+ax^2}\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{-ikx-ax^2}dx\right|^2$$$$p_x=\left|\frac {\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{+ax^2}e^{-ikx-ax^2}dx\right|^2$$$$p_x=\left|\frac {\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ikx}dx\right|^2$$
But that's as far as I seem to be able to get. I've either done something wrong to get to here or I'm missing something from here on. My thoughts are I need to use one of the standard integrals but I can't seem to figure out how to. Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed with this? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\psi_0## is real, so ##\psi_0^* = \psi_0##.

Likes Leechie
Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't spot that.

Related to Find the probability of measuring a particle's energy E

What is the formula for calculating the probability of measuring a particle's energy E?

The formula for calculating the probability of measuring a particle's energy E is given by P(E) = |Ψ(E)|^2, where Ψ(E) is the wave function of the particle.

Can the probability of measuring a particle's energy E be greater than 1?

No, the probability of measuring a particle's energy E cannot be greater than 1. The maximum probability is always 1, which represents a 100% chance of measuring the particle's energy at a particular value.

What factors affect the probability of measuring a particle's energy E?

The probability of measuring a particle's energy E is affected by the wave function of the particle, the energy levels available to the particle, and the measurement apparatus used.

How does the uncertainty principle affect the probability of measuring a particle's energy E?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position. This means that the probability of measuring a specific energy will be inversely proportional to the uncertainty in the energy measurement.

Can the probability of measuring a particle's energy E be negative?

No, the probability of measuring a particle's energy E cannot be negative. Probability is a measure of likelihood, and it cannot be negative. If the calculated probability is negative, it indicates an error in the calculation.