Find the probability that no two dice show the same face

In summary, when three indistinguishable fair dice are thrown simultaneously at random, the probability of no two dice showing the same face is calculated. The probability of the sum of the three dice being less than six and no two dice showing the same face is also determined. The sample space for the outcomes is {1,2,3,4,5,6}^3.For the Long Shot Golf Ball Company, the probability of at least one defective ball out of 100 is found to be 0.63, and the probability of at most one defective ball is determined by adding the probability of zero defects to the probability of one defect, which is calculated using the binomial formula. The sample space for the outcomes is {0
BrownianMan
3. Three indistinguishable (fair) dice are thrown simultaneously at random.
(a) Find the probability that no two dice show the same face (the same number).
(b) Find the probability that the sum of the three dice is less than six and that no two dice show the same face (the same number.

Ok, so I got these, however, not sure what to do for this part:

(c) Describe the probability space, that is, the sample space, the event space, and the probability measure P you used in 3(a) and 3(b) above.

Would the sample space be the same as the outcome space, ie {1,2,3,4,5,6}^3?

The Long Shot Golf Ball Company determined that, on average, one percent of the balls they produce are defective.
(a) Find the probability that, out of 100 balls, at least one ball is defective.
(b) Find the probability that, out of 100 balls, at most one ball is defective.

For (a) I get 0.63.

For (b) I think I need to add P(zero defects) + P(one defect). I have P(zero defects) = 1-0.63=0.37, but not sure how to get P(one defect). If I use the binomial formula, I get a number larger than 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sample space = {0,1,2,...,100} Event space = {x|x>=1}, {x|x<=1} Probability measure P: P(x) = (1-0.01)^(n-x)*(0.01)^x for x=0,1,2,...,100

Related to Find the probability that no two dice show the same face

1. What is the probability that no two dice show the same face?

The probability of rolling two dice and having no two dice show the same face is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This means that out of all the possible outcomes, there is a 1 in 6 chance that no two dice will have the same face.

2. How do you calculate the probability of no two dice showing the same face?

To calculate the probability of no two dice showing the same face, you can use the formula P = (n-1) / n, where n is the number of sides on the dice. For two standard six-sided dice, n = 6, so the probability would be (6-1) / 6 = 5/6 = 1/6.

3. Why is the probability of no two dice showing the same face important?

The probability of no two dice showing the same face is important in many games and activities involving dice, such as board games and gambling. It helps players make strategic decisions and understand the likelihood of certain outcomes.

4. Can the probability of no two dice showing the same face change?

Yes, the probability of no two dice showing the same face can change depending on the number of dice being rolled and the number of sides on each dice. For example, if you roll three dice instead of two, the probability would be (6-1) / 6 = 5/6 * 5/6 * 5/6 = 125/216 or approximately 57.87%.

5. How can you increase the probability of no two dice showing the same face?

The probability of no two dice showing the same face can be increased by decreasing the number of sides on the dice or by increasing the number of dice being rolled. For example, if you roll two four-sided dice instead of two six-sided dice, the probability would be (4-1) / 4 = 3/4 = 0.75 or 75%.