Find the ##r^{th}## term of ##(a+2x)^n##

RChristenk
Homework Statement
Find the ##r^{th}## term from the beginning and the ##r^{th}## term from the end of ##(a+2x)^n##
Relevant Equations
Binomial Theorem
##r^{th}## term from beginning: ##^nC_{r-1}a^{n-r+1}(2x)^{r-1}##

For the ##r^{th}## term from the end, we first know there are a total of ##n+1## terms in this binomial expansion. Subtracting the (##r^{th}## term from the end) from the total number of terms, ##n+1##, results in ##n+1-r## which represents the number of terms before it (counting from the beginning). Hence counting from the beginning, the ##r^{th}## term from the end is represented by ##n-r+2##.

Therefore ##r^{th}## term from the end: ##^nC_{n-r+1}a^{r-1}(2x)^{n-r+1}##.

The answers are given in an expanded coefficient form. For the ##r^{th}## term from the beginning: ##\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)}{(r-1)!}a^{n-r+1}(2x)^{r-1}##.

For the ##r^{th}## term from the end: ##\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)}{(r-1)!}a^{r-1}(2x)^{n-r+1}##.

At first, I didn't understand why the coefficient expansion was equivalent. Then I realized ##^nC_{r-1}=^nC_{n-r+1}##.

But technically ##^nC_{n-r+1} \neq \dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)}{(r-1)!}##. Shouldn't it be something like ##\dfrac{n!}{(n-r+1)!}##? How would I write the full expansion of ##^nC_{n-r+1}##? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
RChristenk said:
But technically ##^nC_{n-r+1} \neq \dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-r+2)}{(r-1)!}##.
Why not?

We have [tex]
{}^nC_k = \frac{n(n-1) \cdots (n - (k - 1))}{k!}.[/tex] Setting [itex]k = n - r + 1[/itex] gives [tex]
\begin{split}
{}^nC_{n-r+1} &= \frac{n(n-1) \cdots (n - (n - r + 1 - 1))}{(n - r + 1)!} \\
&= \frac{n(n-1) \cdots r}{(n - r + 1)!} \\
&= \frac{n!}{(r-1)!(n-r+1)!} \\
&= \frac{n(n-1) \cdots (n- r + 2)}{(r-1)!} \\
&= {}^nC_{r-1}.\end{split}[/tex]

Shouldn't it be something like ##\dfrac{n!}{(n-r+1)!}##?

You are missing a factor of [itex](r - 1)![/itex] from the denominator.

Likes RChristenk
How did you go from ##\dfrac{n!}{(r-1)!(n-r+1)!}## to ##\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots(n-r+2)}{(r-1)!}##?

I am assuming ##n!=n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots (n-r+2)(n-r+1)(n-r)\cdots 1##. Would this be correct? Thanks.

RChristenk said:
How did you go from ##\dfrac{n!}{(r-1)!(n-r+1)!}## to ##\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots(n-r+2)}{(r-1)!}##?

I am assuming ##n!=n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots (n-r+2)(n-r+1)(n-r)\cdots 1##. Would this be correct? Thanks.
Your assumption is correct.

FAQ: Find the ##r^{th}## term of ##(a+2x)^n##

What is the general formula for finding the rth term of (a + 2x)n?

The general formula for finding the rth term of (a + 2x)n is given by Tr = C(n, r-1) * an-(r-1) * (2x)r-1, where C(n, r-1) is the binomial coefficient (n choose r-1).

How do you calculate the binomial coefficient C(n, r-1)?

The binomial coefficient C(n, r-1) is calculated using the formula C(n, r-1) = n! / [(r-1)! * (n - (r-1))!], where "!" denotes factorial.

Can you provide an example of finding the 3rd term of (a + 2x)5?

Yes. To find the 3rd term of (a + 2x)5, we use the formula T3 = C(5, 2) * a5-2 * (2x)2. First, calculate C(5, 2) = 5! / (2! * 3!) = 10. Then, T3 = 10 * a3 * (2x)2 = 10 * a3 * 4x2 = 40a3x2.

What is the significance of the binomial theorem in finding the rth term?

The binomial theorem provides a way to expand expressions of the form (a + bx)n into a sum of terms involving coefficients, powers of a, and powers of bx. It is essential for finding any specific term in the expansion without fully expanding the expression.

How do you handle negative or fractional values of n in the binomial expansion?

For negative or fractional values of n, the binomial expansion is expressed as an infinite series using the generalized binomial theorem. The rth term is given by Tr = C(n, r-1) * an-(r-1

Back