Find the range of possible dimensions for a volume

In summary, the range of possible dimensions for a volume is dependent on the shape of the object and can range from 0 to infinity. The formula for calculating volume varies based on the shape of the object, with the maximum possible volume being when the object is a perfect cube. The volume of an object cannot be negative, as it is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies. To determine the minimum and maximum possible dimensions for a given volume, the shape of the object must be known and the volume formula can be rearranged to solve for the missing dimension.
Traced
Homework Statement
The specifications for a storage container state that the length is 1 metre more than triple the width and the height is 5 metres less than double the width. Find the range of possible dimensions for a volume of at least 8436m^3
Relevant Equations
None
I understand how to get the dimensions that equal 8436m^3. What I don't understand is how to find the range of all possible dimensions.

I solved the inequality to get ##6w^{3}-13w^{2}-5w-8436##

Using systematic guessing I found the root is x=4, so the factor is x-4.

Dividing (x-4) into ##6w^{3}-13w^{2}-5w-8436## gives me ##6w^{2}+59w+703##

so, ##6w^3-13w^{2}-5w-8436 = (w-12)(6w^{2}+59w+703)##.

this means that

w=12
l=3(12)+1=37
h=2(12)-5=19

v=lwh
v=8436

This is as far as I get. I don't understand how to find the range of all possible dimensions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says the range of dimensions l,w,h of at least 8436 m^3

so l=1, w=1, h=1 gives 1 m^3 which is less than 8436 m^3

But I think you also have to consider the limits for l, w, h ie ##l = 3w## and ##h = 2w - 5##

since h must be greater than 0 then 2w=5 meaning w>=xxx at a minimum and similarly for the maximums too.

Likes Traced
jedishrfu said:
It says the range of dimensions l,w,h of at least 8436 m^3

so l=1, w=1, h=1 gives 1 m^3 which is less than 8436 m^3

But I think you also have to consider the limits for l, w, h ie ##l = 3w## and ##h = 2w - 5##

since h must be greater than 0 then 2w=5 meaning w>=xxx at a minimum and similarly for the maximums too.

I'm still confused. Could you explain it a bit more please? Right now I have 3 dimensions, l=37, w=12 and h=19. The dimensions I have the minimum dimensions that will give a box of ##8436m^{3}##. I'm confused by

I guess I could do something like this?

w>=12
l>=37
h>=19

I don't know if that is how the question is meant to be solved though.

Last edited:
Traced said:
Homework Statement:: The specifications for a storage container state that the length is 1 metre more than triple the width and the height is 5 metres less than double the width. Find the range of possible dimensions for a volume of at least 8436m^3
Relevant Equations:: None

I understand how to get the dimensions that equal 8436m^3. What I don't understand is how to find the range of all possible dimensions.

I solved the inequality to get ##6w^{3}-13w^{2}-5w-8436##
That's not an inequality -- it should include <, or >, or >=, or <=.
The actual inequality is ##w(3w + 1)(2w - 5) \ge 8436## (##m^3##).

What you solved was the equation ## w(3w + 1)(2w - 5) = 8436##

Traced said:
Using systematic guessing I found the root is x=4, so the factor is x-4.

Dividing (x-4) into ##6w^{3}-13w^{2}-5w-8436## gives me ##6w^{2}+59w+703##

so, ##6w^3-13w^{2}-5w-8436 = (w-12)(6w^{2}+59w+703)##.

this means that

w=12
l=3(12)+1=37
h=2(12)-5=19
Assuming your algebra is correct, if w, l and h are as above, you'll get the minimum volume. If you increase w, that will cause l and h to increase, and result in a larger volume. So the range for w is ##w \ge 12##. What would be the ranges for l and h?
Traced said:
v=lwh
v=8436

This is as far as I get. I don't understand how to find the range of all possible dimensions.

Likes Traced and Delta2
Traced said:
I guess I could do something like this?

w>=12
l>=37
h>=19

I don't know if that is how the question is meant to be solved though.
I think you added this after I started my earlier reply. I believe you're on the right track here, but you still need to work in the constraints that l = 3w + 1, and h = 2w - 5.
So you'll have an inequality for w, but equations for l and h, both of which are in terms of w.

Likes Traced
Traced said:
found the root is x=4
You mean w-12, right?
Traced said:
how to find the range of all possible dimensions
Does the polynomial you found have any other real roots?
What does that tell you about the values it takes as you increase w?

Mark44 said:
I think you added this after I started my earlier reply. I believe you're on the right track here, but you still need to work in the constraints that l = 3w + 1, and h = 2w - 5.
So you'll have an inequality for w, but equations for l and h, both of which are in terms of w.
Sorry I'm still confused. I'm just not really understanding this.

Traced said:
Sorry I'm still confused. I'm just not really understanding this.
From the problem statement in post 1:
Traced said:
The specifications for a storage container state that the length is 1 metre more than triple the width and the height is 5 metres less than double the width.
From post 3:
Traced said:
w>=12
l>=37
h>=19
The first inequality is correct, but l and h are constrained by the conditions in the problem statement. So w can be any value >= 12, but the values of l and h depend directly on the value of w.

Mark44 said:
From the problem statement in post 1:

From post 3:

The first inequality is correct, but l and h are constrained by the conditions in the problem statement. So w can be any value >= 12, but the values of l and h depend directly on the value of w.
Do you mean like this?
l>=3w+1 and h>=2w-5?
This way the length and the height have the constraints.

Traced said:
Do you mean like this?
l>=3w+1 and h>=2w-5?
This way the length and the height have the constraints.
No. Here's what I mean:
##w \ge 12##
##l = 3w + 1##
##h = 2w - 5##
w can take on any value 12 or larger, but the two equations guarantee that l and h satisfy the given constraints. They wouldn't do so with the two inequalities you wrote.

Likes Traced

Related to Find the range of possible dimensions for a volume

1. What is the definition of "range of possible dimensions" for a volume?

The range of possible dimensions for a volume refers to the minimum and maximum values that the length, width, and height of a three-dimensional object can have in order to still have a non-zero volume.

2. How do you calculate the range of possible dimensions for a volume?

The range of possible dimensions for a volume can be calculated by finding the minimum and maximum values for each dimension and multiplying them together. For example, if the length can range from 2 to 5 units and the width can range from 3 to 7 units, the range of possible dimensions for the volume would be 2 x 3 = 6 to 5 x 7 = 35 units cubed.

3. What factors affect the range of possible dimensions for a volume?

The range of possible dimensions for a volume is affected by the physical properties of the material the object is made of, as well as any external constraints such as the size of the container it will be placed in. Additionally, the desired volume of the object may also impact the range of possible dimensions.

4. Can the range of possible dimensions for a volume be negative?

No, the range of possible dimensions for a volume cannot be negative. Dimensions represent physical measurements and cannot have negative values. If the minimum value for a dimension is zero, the range would simply start at zero instead of a negative value.

5. How can the range of possible dimensions for a volume be useful in real-world applications?

The range of possible dimensions for a volume can be useful in designing and constructing objects with specific volumes, such as containers, packaging, or building materials. It can also help in determining the maximum capacity of a space or the minimum amount of material needed for a certain volume.