Find the range of values for abc and a + b + c

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the range of values for i) $abc$ is the half-open interval $(0,1]$, and ii) $a+b+c$ is the interval $[1,\infty)$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $a, b, c$ be positive real numbers satisfying \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\le ab+bc+ca \le 3\).

Determine the range of values for

i) $abc$,

ii) $a+b+c$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Anemone and kaliprasad have noticed that nobody ever replied to this challenge problem. Here is my attempt, using MarkFL's favourite method of Lagrange multipliers.

To find the extreme points of $abc$ subject to the restraint $bc+ca+ab = k$ (where $\frac13\leqslant k\leqslant 3$), put the partial derivatives of $abc - \lambda(bc+ca+ab - k)$ (with respect to $a$, $b$ and $c$) equal to $0$: $$bc - \lambda (b+c) = 0,\qquad ca - \lambda (c+a) = 0,\qquad ab - \lambda (a+b) = 0.$$ Write those equations as \(\displaystyle \frac1\lambda = \frac1b + \frac1c = \frac1c + \frac1a = \frac1a + \frac1b\) to see that $a=b=c$. That is the unique extremal point of $abc$. It must be a maximum because if we take $b=c=\varepsilon$ and $a = \dfrac{k-\varepsilon^2}{2\varepsilon}$ then $bc+ca+ab = k$ but $abc = \frac12\varepsilon(k-\varepsilon^2) \to0$ as $\varepsilon\to0$. So $abc\to0$ towards the boundary of the set $\{(a,b,c)\in \mathbb{R}^3:a>0,\,b>0,\,c>0\}.$ Thus the maximum possible value of $abc$ occurs when $k=3$ and $a=b=c= abc =1$. The range of values of $abc$ is therefore the half-open interval $(0,1]$.

An exactly similar calculation for the sum $a+b+c$ shows that it can take arbitrarily large values (when $b=c= \varepsilon$, $a = \dfrac{k-\varepsilon^2}{2\varepsilon}$ and $\varepsilon\to0$). There is again a unique extremal point when $a=b=c$, but this time it is a minimum, occurring when $a=b=c=\frac13$ and $a+b+c=1$. So the range of values of $a+b+c$ is the interval $[1,\infty).$

I think the reason I favor the method of Lagrange multipliers is because I am ignorant of the AM-GM method. (Wink) anemone has tried to teach me this, but I have been quite slow on the uptake. (Giggle)

MarkFL said:
I think the reason I favor the method of Lagrange multipliers is because I am ignorant of the AM-GM method. (Wink) anemone has tried to teach me this, but I have been quite slow on the uptake. (Giggle)

Hahaha...that isn't the case, Mark! That is because you don't like AM-GM for some reason, the same reason I have zero interest with the LM, I guess...:p

MarkFL said:
[sp]Mention of the AM-GM method makes me see that this is the best way to approach this problem.View attachment 2344

In fact, $\frac13(bc + ca + ab) \geqslant \sqrt[3]{a^2b^2c^2}.$ So if $bc+ca+ab \leqslant3$ it follows that $(abc)^{2 / 3} \leqslant1$ and so $abc\leqslant 1$.

For the other part of the problem, add the inequalities $b^2 + c^2 \geqslant 2bc$, $c^2+a^2 \geqslant 2ca$ and $a^2+b^2 \geqslant 2ab$ to get $2(a^2+b^2+c^2) \geqslant 2(bc+ca+ab)$ and hence $a^2+b^2+c^2 \geqslant bc+ca+ab.$ It follows that $(a+b+c)^2 = a^2+b^2+c^2 + 2(bc+ca+ab) \geqslant 3(bc+ca+ab) \geqslant1.$ Therefore $a+b+c\geqslant1.$[/sp]

Attachments

• 15274680-light-bulb-icon.jpg
    15274680-light-bulb-icon.jpg
    811 bytes · Views: 61

FAQ: Find the range of values for abc and a + b + c

1. What does it mean to "find the range of values" for abc and a + b + c?

When we talk about finding the range of values for a mathematical expression, we are looking for the minimum and maximum values that the expression can take on. In this case, we are looking for the minimum and maximum values of abc and a + b + c.

2. How do you determine the range of values for abc and a + b + c?

To find the range of values for abc and a + b + c, we need to consider all possible values of a, b, and c that satisfy any given constraints or conditions. We then calculate the expression for each combination of values and determine the minimum and maximum values.

3. What factors can affect the range of values for abc and a + b + c?

The range of values for abc and a + b + c can be affected by various factors such as the constraints or conditions given, the type of numbers (e.g. whole numbers, fractions, decimals) allowed for a, b, and c, and the complexity of the expression.

4. Is there a formula or method for finding the range of values for abc and a + b + c?

There is no specific formula or method for finding the range of values for abc and a + b + c. It depends on the specific expression and constraints given. However, the general approach is to consider all possible combinations of values and calculate the expression for each to determine the minimum and maximum values.

5. Can the range of values for abc and a + b + c be infinite?

Yes, the range of values for abc and a + b + c can be infinite if there are no constraints given. For example, if a, b, and c can take on any real number, then the range of values for abc and a + b + c would be infinite.