Find the real and complex canoncial forms

Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about finding the real and complex canonical forms for three quadratic equations in matrix form. The poster is seeking guidance and suggestions for how to perform the necessary operations, such as converting the coefficients to 1's and -1's, using eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem. They are also looking for specific steps to diagonalize the matrices using double operations. The expert offers advice and encourages the poster to consult additional resources for further guidance.
smoothman

Homework Statement

hey there. i have 3 equations in quadratic form:

q1 [x] = [itex]x^2 + 2xy + 4yz + z^2[/itex]
[y]
[z]

q2 [x] = [itex]2xy + 4yz - 2xz[/itex]
[y]
[z]

q3 [x] = [itex](x + y + z)^2[/itex]
[y]
[z]

2. What i need to find
i have to find the real and complex canoncial forms:

The Attempt at a Solution

> i know i have to first turn the quadratic equations into matrix form.
> Once I've done that, i get the real canonical form by converting all the positive terms into 1’s and the negative terms into -1’s.
>The complex canonical form is then obtained by changing the minus 1’s to plus 1’s

my attempt:

so far I've managed to turn the first equation into a matrix:
i.e.

[1 1 0]
[1 0 2]
[0 2 1]

i know i have to now diagonalize this matrix using "DOUBLE OPERATIONS" , consisting of a column operation followed by the "corresponding" row operation.
but the problem is i just can't seem to finish this matrix off. does anyone please have the steps to diagonalize this using double operations?

and also the steps to diagonalise the other 2 matrices? thanks a lot for the help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your equations and your attempt at finding the real and complex canonical forms. I would like to offer some guidance and suggestions to help you with your problem.

Firstly, you are on the right track by converting the quadratic equations into matrix form. This will make it easier to perform the necessary operations to find the canonical forms. However, I would like to point out that your first matrix is not in the correct form. The matrix form for a quadratic equation should have the coefficients of the x^2, xy, y^2, etc. terms as the entries of the matrix. So for your first equation, the matrix form should be:

[1 2 0]
[2 0 4]
[0 4 1]

I would suggest double checking the matrix forms for the other two equations as well.

Next, to find the real canonical form, you are correct in converting all the positive terms to 1's and negative terms to -1's. However, to do so, you will need to use the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. The diagonal elements of the real canonical form will be the eigenvalues of the matrix, while the eigenvectors will form the transformation matrix that will convert the original matrix into the canonical form.

To find the complex canonical form, you will need to use the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which states that a matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. This will help you find the powers of the matrix that will give you the complex canonical form.

As for the specific steps to diagonalize the matrices using double operations, I would suggest consulting a linear algebra textbook or online resources for a detailed explanation. It involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then using them to perform the necessary operations to convert the matrix into its canonical form.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Find the real and complex canoncial forms

1. What is the purpose of finding the real and complex canonical forms?

The purpose of finding the real and complex canonical forms is to simplify and standardize mathematical expressions in order to make them easier to analyze and compare. These forms also provide a deeper understanding of the underlying structure and properties of the expressions.

2. What is the difference between the real and complex canonical forms?

The real canonical form is used for real-valued expressions, while the complex canonical form is used for complex-valued expressions. The real canonical form only includes real numbers and variables, whereas the complex canonical form includes both real and imaginary numbers and variables.

3. How do you find the real and complex canonical forms?

The process of finding the real and complex canonical forms involves several steps. First, the expression is factored into its basic components. Then, the expression is rearranged into a standard form, with the highest powers of each variable appearing first. Next, the expression is simplified by combining like terms and removing any unnecessary parentheses. Lastly, the expression is written in its final canonical form.

4. Why is it important to find the real and complex canonical forms?

Finding the real and complex canonical forms allows for a more efficient and organized way of representing mathematical expressions. It also helps to identify and understand the important features and properties of the expressions, such as symmetry, roots, and asymptotes. This can be useful in various fields of science and mathematics, such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

5. Can the real and complex canonical forms be used for any type of expression?

No, the real and complex canonical forms are specifically used for polynomial expressions. Other types of expressions, such as rational functions or trigonometric expressions, have their own standard forms and cannot be transformed into the real or complex canonical forms.