Find the real and Imaginary parts of sin(3+i)

In summary: One way to do that is to use the hyperbolic trig functions: $$\sinh(x)=-\cosh(x)+i\sinh(x)$$$$\cosh(x)=-\sinh(x)+i\cosh(x)$$which gives you:$$\sinh(x+iy)=-\sinh(x)+\cosh(y)+i\sinh(iy)$$and finally, you can combine those two to get:$$\sinh(x+iy)=-\sinh(x)+\cosh(y)+i\sinh(iy)$$which is
ChloeFoulkes

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

sin(x+y)= sinxcosy+sinycosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am right in saying that you use the sine addition formula but then i get stuck from there.
Is it something to do with exponential form?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just lack the formulas [itex] \sin{(ix)}=i\sinh{x} [/itex] and [itex] \cos{(ix)}=\cosh{x} [/itex].

ChloeFoulkes said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

sin(x+y)= sinxcosy+sinycosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am right in saying that you use the sine addition formula but then i get stuck from there.
Is it something to do with exponential form?

You can use the following

$$\sin x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}$$

I get:1/4i(e-1+e1)(e3i-e-3i)+1/4i(e3i+e-3i)(e-1-e1)

now would i sum the real and imaginary parts?

ChloeFoulkes said:
I get:1/4i(e-1+e1)(e3i-e-3i)+1/4i(e3i+e-3i)(e-1-e1)

now would i sum the real and imaginary parts?

I did not check the simplification. You can use ##e^{ix}=\cos x+i\sin x##. :)

Shyan said:
You just lack the formulas [itex] \sin{(ix)}=i\sinh{x} [/itex] and [itex] \cos{(ix)}=\cosh{x} [/itex].

Extending on the suggestion, you can hence construct a complex double angle identity of ##\sin(x+iy)## with hyperbolic function. If you have constructed that you can just plug in the values of real x and y. I suggest you do the same with other trig function with ##z=(x+iy)## as the argument, it helps a lot. Either that or you can also use the exponential form Pranav-Arora mentioned,

Pranav-Arora said:
You can use the following

$$\sin x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}$$

which should actually be:
$$\sin x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}$$

Seydlitz said:
which should actually be:
$$\sin x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}$$

Ah yes, very sorry. :redface:

im going to use the exponential method, only because it rings a bell with something we did in a lecture:)
ive now got:
1/4i(e-1+e1)(cos3+isin3-cos(-3)+isin(-3))+1/4i(cos3+isin3+cos(-3)+isin(-3))(e-1-e1)

all the trig seems to cancel out?
so I am left with 1/4i(e-1+e1)+1/4i(e-1-e1)

I still don't understand how this gives me the real and imaginary parts? or am i being abit 'maths blind'

You've gone wrong. The trig shouldn't cancel out. You're better expanding the sin equation as was previously suggested to get:

[itex]sin(x + iy) = sin(x)cosh(y) + icos(x)sinh(y)[/itex]

This is much more useful than the expoential form when you need to calculate the sine of a complex number.

ChloeFoulkes said:
I'm going to use the exponential method, only because it rings a bell with something we did in a lecture:)
I've now got:
1/4i(e-1+e1)(cos3+isin3-cos(-3)+isin(-3))+1/4i(cos3+isin3+cos(-3)+isin(-3))(e-1-e1)

all the trig seems to cancel out?
I didn't check carefully, but I think you made some sign errors. Also, you seem to think that ##\cos (-x) = -\cos x## and ##\sin (-x) = -\sin x##. Only one of those is true. You need to show your work rather than just posting your answers so we can see where you're making mistakes.

By the way, you've made a bit more work for yourself than is necessary by using the identity first and then converting to exponentials. Just go straight to the exponential form:
$$\sin (3+i) = \frac{e^{i(3+i)}-e^{-i(3+i)}}{2i}.$$
To find the real and imaginary parts, you eventually want to express the answer in the form x+iy, where x and y are real. That means, in particular, you're going to need to get the ##i## out of the denominator.

FAQ: Find the real and Imaginary parts of sin(3+i)

What is the formula for finding the real and imaginary parts of sin(3+i)?

The formula for finding the real and imaginary parts of sin(3+i) is:
Real part = sin(3) * cosh(1)
Imaginary part = cos(3) * sinh(1)

What is the value of sin(3+i)?

The value of sin(3+i) is approximately 0.14112 + 1.29846i.

How do complex numbers affect the calculation of sin(3+i)?

Complex numbers, such as 3+i, affect the calculation of sin(3+i) by introducing a new dimension, the imaginary axis, to the traditional real number line. This means that the calculations for the real and imaginary parts of sin(3+i) involve both real and imaginary numbers.

What is the significance of the real and imaginary parts of sin(3+i)?

The real and imaginary parts of sin(3+i) represent the two components of the complex number that is the result of the sine function. The real part represents the horizontal component, while the imaginary part represents the vertical component. Together, they make up the complex number that is the output of the sine function.

How can the real and imaginary parts of sin(3+i) be used in practical applications?

The real and imaginary parts of sin(3+i) can be used in various practical applications, such as in signal processing, electrical engineering, and physics. They can also be used in solving complex mathematical problems involving trigonometric functions and in representing physical quantities that have both real and imaginary components.