Find the Reference Angle for 11pi/4

Therefore, the solution manual is simply using radians instead of degrees to find the reference angle.
zoiberg137
I understand perfectly how to find the reference angle for a degree, such as 150 degress = reference angle of 30 degrees, because the 2nd quadrant goes from 90 to 180 degrees, so you simply subtract 150 from 180 to come up with 30.

I get that: 11pi/4 = 495 degrees. 495 degrees will give you a reference angle of 45 degress. Which I know how to convert to pi/4.
HOWEVER, my solutions manual tells me that I should simply be subtracting 11pi/4 from 3pi. WHERE DOES THIS 3/PI COME FROM?!

My trig class has not discussed the unit circle yet. It seems like I would have to understand that first?? Anyway, I kind of get how to solve the problem, but not in the way that I am supposed to. Please help!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]3\pi[/itex] is [itex]540^\circ[/itex]. [itex]540^\circ - 495^\circ = 45^\circ[/itex]. It's the same thing, just in radians.

zoiberg137 said:
I understand perfectly how to find the reference angle for a degree, such as 150 degress = reference angle of 30 degrees, because the 2nd quadrant goes from 90 to 180 degrees, so you simply subtract 150 from 180 to come up with 30.

I get that: 11pi/4 = 495 degrees. 495 degrees will give you a reference angle of 45 degress. Which I know how to convert to pi/4.
HOWEVER, my solutions manual tells me that I should simply be subtracting 11pi/4 from 3pi. WHERE DOES THIS 3/PI COME FROM?!

My trig class has not discussed the unit circle yet. It seems like I would have to understand that first?? Anyway, I kind of get how to solve the problem, but not in the way that I am supposed to. Please help!

Thanks!
3π radians, corresponds to 360° + 180° = 540°.

540° - 495° = 45° , just as [itex]\displaystyle 3\pi-\frac{11\pi}{4}=\frac{\pi}{4}\ .[/itex]

FAQ: Find the Reference Angle for 11pi/4

What is a reference angle?

A reference angle is the smallest angle formed between the terminal side of an angle and the x-axis on the coordinate plane. It is always positive and is measured in the counterclockwise direction.

How do you find the reference angle for a given angle?

To find the reference angle for a given angle, you must first determine which quadrant the angle falls in. Then, subtract the angle from 90 degrees if it is in the first or second quadrant, or add 180 degrees to the angle if it is in the third or fourth quadrant.

What is the reference angle for 11pi/4?

The reference angle for 11pi/4 is pi/4, or 45 degrees. This is because 11pi/4 falls in the fourth quadrant, and by adding 180 degrees to the angle, we get the reference angle.

Why is it important to find the reference angle?

Finding the reference angle is important because it allows us to simplify the trigonometric functions of the given angle. This makes it easier to solve equations and work with trigonometric identities.

Can the reference angle be negative?

No, the reference angle is always positive. It is measured in the counterclockwise direction and is the smallest angle formed between the terminal side of the angle and the x-axis.