Find the resistance of the coil

In summary, the problem involves a water heater with a metal coil connected to a 24-V power supply. The coil is able to heat 270 mL of water from 20°C to boiling point in 70 s. To find the resistance of the coil, we can use the equation R = dV/I. However, since we are given time and temperature, we can also use the equation Q = mc*dT to calculate the thermal energy required. From there, we can find the power involved by dividing the energy by the time interval.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

A water heater consisting of a metal coil that is connected across the terminals of a 24-V power supply is able to heat 270 mL of water from room temperature (20°C) to boiling point in 70 s. What is the resistance of the coil? (When entering units, use ohm for Ω.)

Homework Equations

R = dV/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to approach this one. I think the temperature is throwing me off. I have V so I am trying to find I. I was thinking of using I = dQ/dT since I have the time interval, but finding Q isn't possible unless I am given values for charges. I almost want to use Q = mc*dT but Q here is thermal energy so I'm back to square one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thought about thermal energy looks promising. How much energy is required to heat the given amount of water by the stated amount? If it's done in the stated amount of time, what's the power (watts) involved?

Related to Find the resistance of the coil

1. What is the purpose of finding the resistance of a coil?

The resistance of a coil is important because it affects the flow of electrical current through the coil. By knowing the resistance, we can determine the amount of current that will pass through the coil and how much energy will be dissipated as heat.

2. How is the resistance of a coil calculated?

The resistance of a coil can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. In the case of a coil, the voltage and current can be measured and the resistance can be calculated using this formula.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a coil?

The resistance of a coil is affected by several factors, including the material of the wire, the length and diameter of the wire, and the temperature of the coil. Thicker wires and shorter lengths tend to have lower resistance, while higher temperatures can increase resistance.

4. How does the resistance of a coil impact its function?

The resistance of a coil is an important factor in determining its function. Higher resistance coils will produce less current and heat, while lower resistance coils will produce more current and heat. This can affect the performance and efficiency of devices that use coils, such as motors or transformers.

5. Why is it important to measure the resistance of a coil?

Measuring the resistance of a coil is important for ensuring proper functioning and safety of electrical devices. It also allows for troubleshooting and identifying any potential issues with the coil. Additionally, knowing the resistance of a coil can help with designing and building more efficient and effective electrical circuits.