Find the rotational inertia of the assembly. (Rod and Particles)

In summary: The middle particle has a magnitude of 3.9 kg*m^2 and has a resultant rotational inertia of 5.37638 kg*m^2. The assembly has a magnitude of 9.1 kg*m^2 and has a resultant rotational inertia of 19.05 kg*m^2.
Wm_Davies
1. Homework Statement [/b]

I need help with part (a) of this problem. (See attachment)

In Fig. 11-45, three particles of mass m = 3.9 kg are fastened to three rods of length d = 0.40 m and negligible mass. The rigid assembly rotates about point O at angular speed ω = 9.1 rad/s. About O, what are (a) the rotational inertia of the assembly, (b) the magnitude of the angular momentum of the middle particle, and (c) the magnitude of the angular momentum of the assembly?

Homework Equations

Rotational Inertia for a rod = [tex]\frac{1}{12}(ML^{2})[/tex]
Rotational Inertia for a Particle = mr^2 (Where r is the distance from the point of rotation)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I took the three rods and made them into one long one with three particles attached to it and used the parallel axis theorem to adjust the rotational inertia for the rod.

Which gave me the equation of...

[tex]\frac{1}{12}[ML^{2}+ML^{2}]+m[(r)^{2}+(2r)^{2}+(3r)^{2}]=I[/tex]

I substitute in the notation used in the problem and remove the M for the rod since it is negligible.

[tex]\frac{1}{12}[(3d)^{2}+(1.5d)^{2}]+m[(d)^{2}+(2d)^{2}+(3d)^{2}]=I[/tex]

After plugging in the numbers for this I had gotten...

[tex]\frac{1}{12}[(3*.3)^{2}+(1.5*.3)^{2}]+4.2[(.3)^{2}+(2*.3)^{2}+(3*.3)^{2}]=I[/tex]

Which gave me the result of...
5.37638 kg*m^2

Which is not correct, but I cannot see what I did wrong. I would appreciate any help. I know that the correct answer is 5.292 kg*m^2

Attachments

• fig11_43.gif
    fig11_43.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found that since the mass of the rod is negligible it is actually equal to zero which eliminates any rotational inertia for the rod. I also had the equation wrong for the horizontal shift of the axis, but that didn't factor into the problem I was having.

The rod pieces are massless, so they contribute nothing to the rotational inertia. (When you 'removed' the mass of the rod, you just erased it! Instead, set M = 0.)

Related to Find the rotational inertia of the assembly. (Rod and Particles)

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of an object.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The rotational inertia of an assembly can be calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The equation is I = Σmr^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the unit of rotational inertia?

The unit of rotational inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg·m^2) in the SI system. In other systems, it can be expressed as ounces-inch squared (oz·in^2) or pound-foot squared (lb·ft^2).

4. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational inertia?

The distribution of mass plays a crucial role in determining the rotational inertia of an assembly. Objects with most of their mass concentrated far from the axis of rotation have a larger rotational inertia compared to objects with mass distributed closer to the axis.

5. What factors can affect the rotational inertia of an assembly?

The rotational inertia of an assembly can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the distribution of mass, the shape and size of the object, and the axis of rotation. Changing any of these factors can alter the rotational inertia of the assembly.