Find the slope and angle of inclination

In summary, to find the slope of a line, use the formula m = y2-y1/x2-x1 = tanα, where α is the angle between the line and the x-axis. To find the angle of inclination, use the formula α = tan^(-1)m. Remember to check the units and set the calculator to the proper units before evaluating. When reflecting in the y-axis, the x-value becomes negative. When translating horizontally left, replace x by x+5, and when compressing horizontally by 1/3, replace x by 3x.
gillgill
1) Find the slope
a) (3.14)/6 b) 135° c)60°

2) Find the angle of inclination of a line with the given slope
a) m=-1/2 b) m=1 c) m=-2 d) m=57

how do u do these questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
gillgill said:
1) Find the slope
a) (3.14)/6 b) 135° c)60°

2) Find the angle of inclination of a line with the given slope
a) m=-1/2 b) m=1 c) m=-2 d) m=57

how do u do these questions?

1) {Slope} = tan{Angle of Inclination}
2) {Angle of Inclination} = tan^(-1){Slope}

Notes:
a) tan^(-1) = arctan = {Inverse tan}
b) In #1 above, determine the units of each "Angle of Inclination" before doing calculations and be sure calculator is set to the proper units (e.g., degrees or radians).

~~

Last edited:
Hello, gillgill, I'll do a few for you:

The slope of a line passing through points [tex](x_1, y_1)[/tex] and [tex](x_2, y_2)[/tex] is given by [tex]m=y_2-y_1/x_2-x_1 = \tan\alpha[/tex], where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the angle between the line and the x-axis.

So, if given an angle [tex]\alpha=\pi/6=180^o/6=30^o[/tex], you find the slope by evaluating [tex]m=\tan30^o[/tex], which I believe is [tex]m=\sqrt{3}/3[/tex].

Now, if given a slope [tex]m=-1/2[/tex], you know that [tex]m=-1/2=\tan\alpha[/tex]. If you know the value of [tex]\tan\alpha[/tex] (in this case [tex]-1/2[/tex]), then you can find [tex]\alpha[/tex], by evaluating [tex]\arctan m=\arctan(-1/2)=\alpha[/tex], which gives you an angle of inclination [tex]\alpha=-26.57^o[/tex].

Hope this helps! Now try to do the other ones by yourself.:smile:

- Kamataat

ok..icic...
but for ex. 1a) the answer is 1/√3...how do u find that out?

o..okok..i see now...thx guys

[tex]1/\sqrt{3}=\sqrt{3}/3[/tex]

- Kamataat

how do u go from tan30 to 1/√3?

gillgill said:
how do u go from tan30 to 1/√3?

Things you should know:

sin 30 = cos60 = 1/2
cos 30 = sin 60 = √3/2
tan 30 = sin30/cos30 = 1/2 / √3/2 = 1/√3

You should also know that sin45 and cos45 are both √2/2. And therefore tan45 is 1.

It is also helpful to remember approximate values for √3/2 and √2/2. They are .866 and .707 respectively. I can remember in high school my knowledge of those approximations helped me answer many questions I wasn't exactly sure of, quite quickly.

ic...
thanks

If u're to remember someting,try to remember [itex] \sqrt{2}\approx 1.414 [/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}\approx 1.732 [/itex] or maybe with 3 sign.figures,only...

That way,u can do whatever operations with them.

Daniel.

i have a different question this time...
given y=√x-4
reflected in the y-axis
translated 5 units left
compressed horizontally by 1/3

i keep getting y=√-3(x+1)...which is wrong...can anybody tell me what my mistake is?

How can I type latex faster?>

gillgill said:
i have a different question this time...
given y=√x-4
reflected in the y-axis
translated 5 units left
compressed horizontally by 1/3

i keep getting y=√-3(x+1)...which is wrong...can anybody tell me what my mistake is?

How in the world did you get that negative??

In general, a horizontal (left-right) change is a change in x.

Translating 5 units left shifts means that "x= -5" acts like "x= 0": that is the formula must involve "x+ 5". (Shifting 0 to a is the same as replacing x by x-a: in this case a= -5.)

"Compressing horizontally by 1/3" means "x= 1/3" acts like "x=1". That will be true if we multiply x by 3: replace x by 3x.

Putting those together, we can "translate 5 units left" and then "compress horizontally by 1/3" by replacing x by 3(x+ 5).

Since the original function was y= √(x-4) (I am assuming the entire x-4 was inside the root), the new function will be √(3(x+5)-4)=
√(15x+ 11).

does reflect in the y-axis gives x an negative?
by the way...the answer is y=√-3(x+3)

This is what I did:

Original function: [tex]y=\sqrt{x-4}[/tex]

Reflect on the y-axis: [tex]y=\sqrt{-x-4}[/tex]

Translate horizontally 5 units to the left: [tex]y=\sqrt{-(x+5)-4}=\sqrt{-x-5-4}=\sqrt{-x-9}[/tex]

Compress horizontally by 1/3: [tex]y=\sqrt{-3x-9}=\sqrt{-3(x+3)}[/tex]

- Kamataat

o..i get it now...thx

Related to Find the slope and angle of inclination

1. What is slope?

Slope is a measure of the steepness of a line. It represents how much the y-coordinate changes for every unit of change in the x-coordinate.

2. How do you find the slope of a line?

To find the slope of a line, you need to know two points on the line. You can then use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) to calculate the slope.

3. What is the angle of inclination?

The angle of inclination is the angle that a line makes with the positive x-axis. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be found using the formula tanθ = slope.

4. How do you calculate the angle of inclination?

To calculate the angle of inclination, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan⁻¹) on the slope of the line. This will give you the angle in radians, which can be converted to degrees by multiplying by 180/π.

5. Why is finding the slope and angle of inclination important?

Finding the slope and angle of inclination is important because it helps us understand the characteristics of a line. It can tell us how steep a line is, whether it is rising or falling, and its direction. It is also useful in many real-world applications, such as engineering and physics, where understanding the slope and angle of inclination can help solve problems and make predictions.