Find the slope of the tangent at the given angle theta

In summary, the slope of the tangent line to the given polar curve at the point specified by the value of theta R = 1/θ, θ=π is -pi.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to the give polar curve at the point specified by the value of theta R = 1/θ, θ=π

Homework Equations

##\frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivative of r is -1/θ2

Then plugging things into the formula I get
##\dfrac{\dfrac{-1}{θ^{2}}sinθ +\dfrac{1}{θ}cosθ}{\dfrac{-1}{θ^{2}}cosθ -\dfrac{1}{θ}sinθ}##

then i take out a factor is -1/θ from both the denominator and numerator and get

##\dfrac{\dfrac{sinθ}{θ}+cosθ}{\dfrac{cosθ}{θ}-sinθ}##

then plugging in pi wherever thetha is and doing some math i get that its all equal to pi

the correct answer is supposed to be -pi

what am i doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to the give polar curve at the point specified by the value of theta R = 1/θ, θ=π

Homework Equations

##\frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivative of r is -1/θ2

Then plugging things into the formula I get
##\dfrac{\dfrac{-1}{θ^{2}}sinθ +\dfrac{1}{θ}cosθ}{\dfrac{-1}{θ^{2}}cosθ -\dfrac{1}{θ}sinθ}##

then i take out a factor is -1/θ from both the denominator and numerator and get

##\dfrac{\dfrac{sinθ}{θ}+cosθ}{\dfrac{cosθ}{θ}-sinθ}##

then plugging in pi wherever thetha is and doing some math i get that its all equal to pi

the correct answer is supposed to be -pi

what am i doing wrong
Check the signs after the step "then i take out a factor is -1/θ from both the denominator and numerator and get"

Related to Find the slope of the tangent at the given angle theta

1. What is the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta?

The slope of the tangent at a given angle theta is the rate of change of the curve at that specific point. It represents the steepness of the curve at that point and can be calculated using the derivative of the function.

2. How do you find the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta?

To find the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta, you need to take the derivative of the function at that point. This can be done by using the formula for the derivative or by using the slope formula which involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0.

3. Why is it important to find the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta?

Finding the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It helps us determine if the curve is increasing or decreasing, and the rate at which it is changing. This information is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta be negative?

Yes, the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta can be negative. This indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point. A positive slope indicates an increasing curve, and a slope of 0 indicates a horizontal tangent.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta?

Yes, there are various methods for finding the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta. The most common methods include using the derivative formula, the slope formula, or the first principle method. The choice of method may depend on the complexity of the function and the available information.