chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
Trigonometry.
1694235993619.png

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{\dfrac{a}{a+1} + \dfrac{1}{2a+1}}{1-\dfrac{a}{a+1} ⋅\dfrac{1}{2a+1}}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]##

Let

##\left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]=0##

##⇒a=-1, a=-\dfrac{1}{2}##

checking my working and latex... a minute...

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: See attached.
Relevant Equations: Trigonometry.

View attachment 331693

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{\dfrac{a}{a+1} + \dfrac{1}{2a+1}}{1-\dfrac{a}{a+1} ⋅\dfrac{1}{2a+1}}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##checking my working and latex... a minute...
Check your algebra.

Likes chwala
In addition to the error that @SammyS points out in his quote of your work, there is also this:
chwala said:
Let ##\left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]=0##
What justification is there for arbitrarily setting the quantity on the left side to zero?

Likes SammyS
chwala said:

View attachment 331693

1694235993619-png.png

In my approach i have,

Rather than jumping to the above expression, it would be helpful to those reading your thread if you would start off with something like:

##\displaystyle \tan \alpha + \beta = \dfrac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta }{1- \tan \alpha \tan \beta} ##

##\displaystyle \quad \quad = \dfrac{\dfrac{a}{a+1} + \dfrac{1}{2a+1}}{1-\dfrac{a}{a+1} ⋅\dfrac{1}{2a+1}}##

You can simplify that expression quite a bit. Why not do that before applying the ##\displaystyle \arctan ## function?
I suggest multiplying the numerator and denominator by ##\displaystyle \ (a+1)(2a+1) \ ##, then simplify. In fact, you might not have to use the ##\displaystyle \arctan ## function at all.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala said:

View attachment 331693

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div\left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]##

Let

##\left[\dfrac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]=0##

##⇒a=-1, a=-\dfrac{1}{2}##

checking my working and latex... a minute...
##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]####α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{2a^2+3a+1}\right] × \left[\dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{2a^2+2a+1}\right]##

##α + β = \tan^{-1} (1) = \dfrac{π}{4}##

Again, you don't have to start each line with "##\alpha + \beta =##" when the goal is to simplify a complicated expression. Instead, you can use = to string together equal quantities.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

View attachment 331693

In my approach i have,

##α + β = \tan^{-1} \left[ \dfrac{2a^2+3a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right] \div \left[\dfrac{2a^2+2a+1}{(a+1)(2a+1)}\right]##

[tex]
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} =
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} \cdot \frac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{(a+1)(2a+1)} =
\frac{a(2a+1) + (a+1)}{(2a+1)(a+1) - a} =
\frac{ 2a^2 + 2a + 1}{2a^2 + 2a + 1}
= 1.[/tex]

Likes chwala
pasmith said:
[tex]
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} =
\frac{\frac{a}{a+1} + \frac{1}{2a+1}}{1 - \frac{a}{a+1}\frac{1}{2a+1}} \cdot \frac{(a+1)(2a+1)}{(a+1)(2a+1)} =
\frac{a(2a+1) + (a+1)}{(2a+1)(a+1) - a} =
\frac{ 2a^2 + 2a + 1}{2a^2 + 2a + 1}
= 1.[/tex]
@pasmith they wanted the smallest angle or you were showing something else...

chwala said:
@pasmith they wanted the smallest angle or you were showing something else...
The wording of the problem isn't clear, IMO. The smallest positive value for ##\alpha + \beta## is ##\frac \pi 4##. There are smaller negative values that satisfy the two given equations.

Mark44 said:
The wording of the problem isn't clear, IMO. The smallest positive value for ##\alpha + \beta## is ##\frac \pi 4##. There are smaller negative values that satisfy the two given equations.
I beg to disagree. Interpreting the problem as it is one can only deduce that the required smallest angle ##=45^0##.

chwala said:
I beg to disagree. Interpreting the problem as it is one can only deduce that the required smallest angle ##=45^0##.
The given equations are ##\tan(\alpha) = \frac a {a + 1}## and ##\tan(\beta) = \frac 1 {2a + 1}##. These lead to the equation ##\tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1 - \tan \alpha \tan \beta}##.

As you've seen, ##\alpha + \beta = \frac \pi 4## is a solution, but there are an infinite number of solutions to this equation above, one of which is ##-\frac{3\pi} 4##, which is smaller than ##\frac \pi 4##. There are many others that are even more negative; i.e., smaller. This is why I said that the problem statement isn't clear, and would have been improved by asking for the smallest positive value of ##\alpha + \beta##.

Of course, once you introduce the inverse tangent, whose principal domain is ##(\frac{-\pi}2, \frac \pi 2)##, then there is only one solution.

Mark44 said:
The given equations are ##\tan(\alpha) = \frac a {a + 1}## and ##\tan(\beta) = \frac 1 {2a + 1}##. These lead to the equation ##\tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1 - \tan \alpha \tan \beta}##.

As you've seen, ##\alpha + \beta = \frac \pi 4## is a solution, but there are an infinite number of solutions to this equation above, one of which is ##-\frac{3\pi} 4##, which is smaller than ##\frac \pi 4##. There are many others that are even more negative; i.e., smaller. This is why I said that the problem statement isn't clear, and would have been improved by asking for the smallest positive value of ##\alpha + \beta##.
I beg to AGREE with Mark on this point.

In general, when using Inverse trig functions to solve trig equations, we must exercise care.

The solution to an equation such as ##\displaystyle \ \tan(\theta) = u\ ## is ##\displaystyle \ \theta = \arctan(u) +k\pi \, ,\ ## where ##k## is an integer.

Of course, once you introduce the inverse tangent, whose principal domain is ##(\frac{-\pi}2, \frac \pi 2)##, then there is only one solution.
As a general method, the following is not particularly good at getting an overall solution in closed form, but it does use the principal domain of ##\displaystyle \arctan \, .##

Alternate approach:
If ##\displaystyle \tan(\alpha) = \dfrac a {a + 1} \, , \ ## then using ##\displaystyle \arctan \ ##

we have ##\displaystyle \alpha = \arctan(\tan(\alpha)) = \arctan \, \dfrac a {a + 1} \, . \ ##

Similarly, ##\displaystyle \beta = \arctan(\tan(\beta)) = \arctan \, \dfrac {1} {2a + 1} \, . \ ##

For ##\displaystyle -1 < a < \frac {-1} 2 \, ,## each of the above expressions gives a negative result for ##\alpha## and for ##\beta##.

Using any particular value for ##a## in this interval gives a value of ##\displaystyle \, \frac {-3\pi} 4 \, ## for ##\displaystyle \alpha + \beta =\arctan \, \dfrac a {a + 1} + \arctan \, \dfrac {1} {2a + 1} \, . ##

For example, try ##\displaystyle a=\frac{-3}{4} \ ## on a scientific calculator. .

Last edited:
Likes Mark44

Related to Find the smallest value of angle ##α + β ##

What is the context in which we need to find the smallest value of angle ##α + β##?

The context usually involves geometric problems, particularly those related to triangles, circles, and other polygons where angles play a critical role. It can also appear in optimization problems in trigonometry and calculus, where minimizing the sum of angles can be necessary.

Are there specific geometric shapes or configurations where finding the smallest value of ##α + β## is common?

Yes, common configurations include triangles, especially right triangles, and cyclic quadrilaterals. In these shapes, the sum of angles often has specific properties that can be leveraged to find the minimum values.

What mathematical tools or theorems are typically used to find the smallest value of ##α + β##?

Tools and theorems that are frequently used include the Law of Sines, Law of Cosines, properties of cyclic quadrilaterals, and optimization techniques from calculus such as taking derivatives and setting them to zero to find critical points.

Can trigonometric identities help in minimizing the sum of angles ##α + β##?

Yes, trigonometric identities such as the angle sum identities, double-angle formulas, and relationships between sine, cosine, and tangent can be very helpful. These identities can simplify the expressions involving angles and make it easier to find the minimum sum.

Is it always possible to find a unique smallest value of ##α + β##?

Not always. The existence of a unique smallest value depends on the constraints and conditions given in the problem. In some cases, there may be multiple configurations that yield the same minimum sum, while in other cases, a unique solution can be determined based on the given parameters.