Find the solution if it exists.

• Thread starter mathgeek69
  • Start date
In summary, the provided equations are used to solve for the value of x in the given problem. The correct solution can be found using the quadratic formula, and an "exact" answer is also possible with the use of the base of natural logarithms. It is important to be careful in calculations to avoid mistakes.
mathgeek69
1. ln(5x+6)+ ln(x-2)=1
2. Homework Equations : log(xy)= log(x)+ log(y)
3. The Attempt at a Solution :

ln(5x+6)+ ln(x-2)=1
ln((5x+6)(x-2))=1
ln(5(x^2)-14x-12)=1
e^(ln(5(x^2)-14x-12)) = e^1
5(x^2)-4x-12=e
5(x^2)-4x-(e-12)=0

use quadratic formula to find x and I get x=2.1617

I don't think I am doing this right. Do you see where my concepts went wrong ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic looks good, but the quadratic expansion should be 5x^2 + 6x - 10x - 12 = e

Also when you brought e to the lefthand side that term should be - (12 + e)

Giving 5x^2 - 4x - (12+e) = 0

Now you can use the quadratic formula to find both x values.

jedishrfu said:
Your logic looks good, but the quadratic expansion should be 5x^2 + 6x - 10x - 12 = e

Sorry that's what I meant. It was a typo. So my x is a long decimal answer. Is there any way of finding a preciser and a more clear answer ?

mathgeek69 said:
Sorry that's what I meant. It was a typo. So my x is a long decimal answer. Is there any way of finding a preciser and a more clear answer ?

Well if you redefine e to be zero and change all of mathematics then maybe but as it stands now nope.

mathgeek69 said:
1. ln(5x+6)+ ln(x-2)=1

2. Homework Equations : log(xy)= log(x)+ log(y)

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

ln(5x+6)+ ln(x-2)=1
ln((5x+6)(x-2))=1
ln(5(x^2)-14x-12)=1
e^(ln(5(x^2)-14x-12)) = e^1
5(x^2)-4x-12=e
5(x^2)-4x-(e-12)=0

use quadratic formula to find x and I get x=2.1617

I don't think I am doing this right. Do you see where my concepts went wrong ?

Your 3rd and 4th lines are wrong, your 5th line is right, your 6th line is wrong. Magically, you still manage to get the correct answer! You really do need to be more careful. Mistakes like than on an exam can be very costly.

BTW: an "exact" answer would be
[tex] x = \frac{e + 16 + 2\sqrt{5e+64}}{8 + \sqrt{5e+64}},[/tex]
where e is the base of the natural logarithms: e = 2.7182818284590452354 ... .

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Your 3rd and 4th lines are wrong, but your 5th and 6th lines are right---why the switch? Your final answer is right.

sorry it was a typo. instead of 14x i meant to write 4x...

thanks.

FAQ: Find the solution if it exists.

1. How do you know if a solution exists?

In order to determine if a solution exists, you must first understand the problem and its constraints. Then, you can use mathematical or computational methods to analyze the problem and determine if a solution is possible.

2. What types of problems can have solutions?

Almost any type of problem can have a solution, as long as it is well-defined and has clear constraints. Some common types of problems that have solutions include mathematical equations, optimization problems, and systems of equations.

3. Can a problem have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for a problem to have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are multiple valid ways to solve the problem that meet the given constraints.

4. How do you find the solution to a problem?

The method for finding a solution will depend on the type of problem and the available resources. In some cases, the solution can be found through mathematical calculations or computer simulations. In other cases, trial and error or experimentation may be necessary to find the solution.

5. What should I do if a solution does not exist?

If a solution does not exist, it may be necessary to reevaluate the problem and its constraints. It may also be helpful to seek input from other experts in the field or explore alternative approaches to solving the problem.