Find the Speed of a Freight Car When All the Sand is Gone

• Thread starter Shing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Speed
In summary, the freight car of mass M contains a mass of sand m. The force applied at t=0 is horizontal and the sand flow out at a constant rate dm/dt. The speed of the freight car when all the sand is gone is given by P_t=Mv(t)+{m_0}-t{{dm}\over{dt}}.
Shing

Homework Statement

A freight car of mass M contains a mass of sand m. At t=0, a constant horizontal force F is applied in the direction of rolling and at the same time a port in the bottom is opened to et the sand flow out at tconstant rate dm/dt. Find the speed of the freight car when all the sand is gone. Assume the car is at rest t=0

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P_t=Mv(t)+{m_0}-t{{dm}\over{dt}}[/tex]

I was trying to solve [tex]m_0-t(dm/dt)=0[/tex]

such that I know the t when all the sand is gone

but I can't solve it.

as it turns out to be

[tex]\int {{dt}\over{t}}=\int {{dm}\over{m_0}}[/tex]

it doesn't make sense at all when t=o! (undefined for In0)

also, the equation of the momentum still has two unknowns for one equation, (even I take dp/dt, I still not sure about d^2/dt(x))

Thanks for your reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're solving for the time when the mass runs out in the wrong way. Maybe once you get that you'll be back on track. You know that the mass is draining at a constant speed

dm/dt=-k(kg/s)

gives

m(t)=m0-kt

want to know when mass is 0

m(t)=0 => m0=kt

so t_(mass=0)=m0/k

check dimensions to see if they are okay kg/(kg/s) = s (check!)

What is P_t supposed to represent?

Let me give you another little bit of help
[tex]F = \frac{dp}{dt} = m\frac{dv}{dt} + v\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

you know dm/dt, so now you'll have a differential equation for v that you should be able solve. Of course, your final solution will be an analytic one given that you don't know the rate or the force, but you do know they are constant and so you don't have to worry about F(t) or k(t)!

Thanks!
I got this:
[tex]v(t')=\frac{\dot{P}}{\dot{m}}[/tex]
is this correct?

Mindscrape said:
Let me give you another little bit of help
[tex]F = \frac{dp}{dt} = m\frac{dv}{dt} + v\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

Take care, the total mass is conserved, F=dp/dt refers to the whole system of mass, the spilt sand included. The cart changes momentum due to expelled mass only when that mass has some velocity u relative to the cart. The equation

[tex]F = \frac{dp}{dt} = m\frac{dv}{dt} + u\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

is valid, and u=0 in this case, so F=m(t)a.

ehild

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles that can be applied. In this case, we can use the equation for momentum, which states that the momentum of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity. We can also use the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

In this problem, the initial momentum of the freight car is zero since it is at rest. As the sand flows out of the car, the mass of the car decreases, but the external force F continues to act on it, causing it to accelerate. We can use the equation for momentum to set up an equation for the final momentum of the car:

P_f = (M-m)v

where P_f is the final momentum, M is the initial mass of the car, m is the mass of sand that has flowed out, and v is the final velocity of the car.

We also know that the total mass of the system (car + sand) is constant, so we can set up an equation for the conservation of momentum:

P_i = P_f

where P_i is the initial momentum, which we know is zero.

Substituting in the equation for P_f, we get:

0 = (M-m)v

Solving for v, we get:

v = 0

This means that when all the sand has flowed out of the car, the car will come to a stop. This makes intuitive sense because as the mass of the car decreases, the external force F will have a greater effect on its acceleration, causing it to come to a stop.

In summary, the speed of the freight car when all the sand is gone is 0. If you are having trouble understanding the mathematical solution, I would recommend reviewing the principles of momentum and conservation of momentum, as well as practicing solving similar problems to build your understanding.

Related to Find the Speed of a Freight Car When All the Sand is Gone

1. How is the speed of a freight car affected by the amount of sand inside?

The speed of a freight car is directly affected by the amount of sand inside. As the sand shifts and moves, it changes the weight distribution of the car, which can alter its speed and stability.

2. How can the speed of a freight car be measured when all the sand is gone?

The speed of a freight car can be measured using various methods such as radar guns, tracking systems, or timing the car's movement between two points. These methods can provide an accurate measurement of the car's speed even when all the sand is gone.

3. Is the speed of a freight car affected by the type of sand inside?

The type of sand inside a freight car can affect its speed to some extent. Different types of sand have different densities and weights, which can impact the weight distribution and therefore the speed of the car. However, the impact may be minimal and other factors such as the car's design and condition may have a larger influence on its speed.

4. Can the speed of a freight car be accurately determined without removing all the sand?

Yes, the speed of a freight car can be accurately determined without removing all the sand. As mentioned, there are various methods available to measure the car's speed, and the presence of sand inside does not necessarily affect the accuracy of these methods.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to measuring the speed of a freight car when all the sand is gone?

Yes, there may be safety concerns when measuring the speed of a freight car when all the sand is gone. The shifting weight distribution caused by the absence of sand can make the car less stable and more prone to accidents. Therefore, it is important to take necessary precautions and follow proper safety protocols when conducting such measurements.