Find the tensions in the cables of a weight

In summary, the problem involves two workers lifting a 100-pound cylindrical weight using two ropes tied to the top center of the cylinder. The resultant force is vertical, which means the horizontal forces cancel. Using the equations F_{T1}Sin70 + F_{T2}Sin60 = 100 and -F_{T1}Cos70+F_{T2}Cos60=0, it is determined that the tensions in the ropes are 65.268 and 44.6, and the vertical component of each worker's force is 65.268 and 44.6. However, there may be an error in the original problem statement as the angles given do not match the angles used in the equations.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

To carry a 100-pound cylindrical weight, two workers lift on the ends of short ropes tied to an eyelet on the top center of the cylinder. One rope makes a 20 degree angle away from the vertical, and the other makes a 30 degree angle.

(a) Find each rope's tension if the resultant force is vertical.

(b) Find the vertical component of each worker's force.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is no acceleration, that means that the vertical component of both tensions added together is equal to the weight of the cylinder, and the horizonal components added are equal to 0.

[tex]F_{T1}Sin70 + F_{T2}Sin60 = 100[/tex]

[tex]F_{T1}Cos70 + F_{T2}Cos60 = 0[/tex]I'm not sure what to do in these problems, I've never been able to properly answer them.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 746
Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding of the physics seems fine. As you've correctly noted, the resultant force being vertical means that the horizontal forces cancel. The problem doesn't actually say that the cylinder doesn't accelerate vertically, but it seems like a good assumption to make, since no vertical acceleration is given. If these assumptions are correct, then you've set up the equations correctly. Now it's just algebra, and fact that the number of equations is equal to the number of unknowns (i.e. two) means that there is a unique solution.

The only thing that seems amiss is that the angles in your equation don't match the angles in your original problem statement.

cepheid said:
Your understanding of the physics seems fine. As you've correctly noted, the resultant force being vertical means that the horizontal forces cancel. The problem doesn't actually say that the cylinder doesn't accelerate vertically, but it seems like a good assumption to make, since no vertical acceleration is given. If these assumptions are correct, then you've set up the equations correctly. Now it's just algebra, and fact that the number of equations is equal to the number of unknowns (i.e. two) means that there is a unique solution.

The only thing that seems amiss is that the angles in your equation don't match the angles in your original problem statement.

arent you supposed to take the angles with respect to the x-axis? in this case the top of the weight?

I believe I have it:

I had an error in my original post, it should be [tex]-F_{T1}Cos70+F_{T2}Cos60=0[/tex], because these forces are opposite.

therefore, [tex]F_{T1}Cos70=F_{T2}Cos60[/tex]
[tex]F_{T1}=1.462F_{T2}[/tex]

do the plugging in...
so on and so forth...

[tex]F_{T2}=44.6[/tex]
therefore
[tex]F_{T1}=65.268[/tex]

Last edited:
warfreak131 said:
arent you supposed to take the angles with respect to the x-axis? in this case the top of the weight?

It makes no difference whether you measure from the horizontal or the vertical. The angles are complements of each other, so only thing it changes is whether the sine of the angle gives you the y component, or whether the cosine gives you the y component.

Related to Find the tensions in the cables of a weight

1. What is the concept of tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It is the opposite of compression, which occurs when an object is pushed or squeezed. In physics, tension is represented by the symbol "T" and is measured in units of newtons (N).

2. How does tension affect the cables in a weight system?

In a weight system, tension is the force that keeps the weight suspended and in place. The tension in the cables also helps distribute the weight evenly, preventing any one cable from bearing too much weight. If the tension in one cable is too high, it can cause the entire system to fail.

3. What factors affect the tension in the cables of a weight?

The tension in the cables of a weight system is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object, the angle and direction of the cables, and the strength and rigidity of the cables themselves. Other factors such as wind or external forces can also impact the tension in the cables.

4. How can the tension in the cables be calculated?

The tension in the cables can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. This formula takes into account the weight of the object and any additional forces acting on it.

5. What are some methods for finding the tensions in the cables of a weight system?

There are several methods for finding the tensions in the cables of a weight system, including using trigonometric functions to solve for the angles and tensions, using vector analysis to calculate the forces acting on the cables, and using physical measurements and equations to determine the tensions. It is important to carefully consider all factors and assumptions when using these methods to ensure an accurate calculation of the tensions in the cables.