Find the values of b for which the roots are positive

In summary, we can find the values of b for which at least one of the roots of the function f(x) = x^2 - bx + 1 is positive by solving the inequality b > √(b^2 - 4). The solution set for this inequality is [2, ∞), which means that if b is greater than or equal to 2, both roots will be positive. On the other hand, if b is less than -2, both roots will be negative. For values of b between -2 and 2, the function will have no real roots.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Given that ##f(x) = x^2 - bx + 1##, find the values of b for which at least one of the roots are positive

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I used the quadratic equation to find the roots: ##\displaystyle x = \frac{b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4}}{2}##. Now, given these two roots, we need to find the intervals on which at least one is positive, so we need to find the union of the solution sets to ##\displaystyle \frac{b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4}}{2} \ge 0## and ##\displaystyle \frac{b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4}}{2} \ge 0##. Looking at the first one, we end up with ##b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4} \ge 0##. However, I am not quite sure how to solve this, which is where I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Given that ##f(x) = x^2 - bx + 1##, find the values of b for which at least one of the roots are positive

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I used the quadratic equation to find the roots: ##\displaystyle x = \frac{b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4}}{2}##. Now, given these two roots, we need to find the intervals on which at least one is positive, so we need to find the union of the solution sets to ##\displaystyle \frac{b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4}}{2} \ge 0## and ##\displaystyle \frac{b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4}}{2} \ge 0##. Looking at the first one, we end up with ##b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4} \ge 0##. However, I am not quite sure how to solve this, which is where I get stuck.
If ##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## then both roots will be positive. What happens if ##b = \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## or if ##b < \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##?

My first thought is Descartes Rule of Signs (I think it would work in some cases but not all). But I see another way. What type of value for "b" would always guarantee an [ x - (some positive root) ] ?

Mark44 said:
If ##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## then both roots will be positive. What happens if ##b = \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## or if ##b < \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##?
Well I know that if ##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## both roots will be positive, but I don't know how to solve for the solution set of b for which this is true. Also, if ##b = \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##, then ##0=-4##, which is false. If ##b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4} < 0##, then at least one of the roots is negative

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well I know that if ##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## both roots will be positive, but I don't know how to solve for the solution set of b for which this is true.
Just solve the inequality.
##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4} \Rightarrow b^2 > b^2 - 4##.
For what set of numbers b is this true?
Mr Davis 97 said:
Also, if ##b = \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##, then ##0=-4##, which is false. If ##b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4} < 0##, then at least one of the roots is negative
For the equation, since 0 is not equal to -4, then the equation is never true. The last inequality is equivalent to ##b < \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##. What do you get if you square both sides?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well I know that if ##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## both roots will be positive, but I don't know how to solve for the solution set of b for which this is true. Also, if ##b = \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##, then ##0=-4##, which is false. If ##b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4} < 0##, then at least one of the roots is negative

Do a little more thinking and a little less solving. First of all if one root is positive you need that you have real roots. What's the condition for that? Start from there.

Mark44 said:
Just solve the inequality.
##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4} \Rightarrow b^2 > b^2 - 4##.
For what set of numbers b is this true?

For the equation, since 0 is not equal to -4, then the equation is never true. The last inequality is equivalent to ##b < \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##. What do you get if you square both sides?
For ##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##, if we square both sides we get ##b^2 > b^2 - 4##, so ##0 > -4##, which is always true.This would seem to imply that the inequality is always true on the interval ##(- \infty, -2] \cup [2, \infty)##. However, in actuality it is only true on the interval ##[2, \infty)##. Is ##(- \infty, -2]## an "extraneous interval," just as we get extraneous solutions to radical equations? What's going on?

Mr Davis 97 said:
For ##b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}##, if we square both sides we get ##b^2 > b^2 - 4##, so ##0 > -4##, which is always true.This would seem to imply that the inequality is always true on the interval ##(- \infty, -2] \cup [2, \infty)##. However, in actuality it is only true on the interval ##[2, \infty)##. Is ##(- \infty, -2]## an "extraneous interval," just as we get extraneous solutions to radical equations? What's going on?

On ##(- \infty, -2]## your premise that ## b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## is false. So sure, it's extraneous But both those intervals are where you get real roots. Think about the signs of the roots on each of those intervals.

Dick said:
On ##(- \infty, -2]## your premise that ## b > \sqrt{b^2 - 4}## is false. So sure, it's extraneous But both those intervals are where you get real roots. Think about the signs of the roots on each of those intervals.
If we're on the interval ##(- \infty, -2]##, then both roots will be negative. If we're on the interval ##[2, \infty)##, both roots are positive

Mr Davis 97 said:
If we're on the interval ##(- \infty, -2]##, then both roots will be negative. If we're on the interval ##[2, \infty)##, both roots are positive

Right. So problem solved, yes?

Likes Mr Davis 97
Simple observation: If [itex]|b| \geq 2[/itex] then [itex]\sqrt{b^2 - 4} < \sqrt{b^2} = |b|[/itex]. Hence [tex]b - |b| < b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4}
\leq b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4} < b + |b|.[/tex]
If [itex]b \geq 2[/itex] then [itex]b - |b| = 0[/itex] and both roots are positive. If [itex]b \leq -2[/itex] then [itex]b + |b| = 0[/itex] and both roots are negative.

Your first thought was right – you need Descartes's rule. That tells you that if b is positive any real roots any real roots are positive, while if b is negative any real roots are negative. After which the question is are there any real roots? As Dick said you needed more thinking less solving.

If you just think of what f(0), f(∞) and f(-∞) are that will also tell you you can't have one positive and one negative real root for this equation.

FAQ: Find the values of b for which the roots are positive

What does it mean to find the values of b for which the roots are positive?

When solving a quadratic equation (ax^2 + bx + c = 0), the values of b represent the coefficient of the linear term. The question is asking for the values of b that will result in the quadratic equation having two positive solutions.

How can I find the values of b for which the roots are positive?

To find the values of b, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. The discriminant, b^2-4ac, must be greater than 0 for the equation to have two positive solutions. Therefore, you can set the discriminant greater than 0 and solve for b to find the desired values.

What if the discriminant is equal to 0?

If the discriminant is equal to 0, the quadratic equation will have one real solution. This means that there is only one value of b that will result in the equation having a positive root. To find this value, you can set the discriminant equal to 0 and solve for b.

Are there any values of b that will result in no real solutions?

Yes, if the discriminant is less than 0, the quadratic equation will have no real solutions. This means that there are no values of b that will result in positive roots. Instead, the solutions will be complex numbers.

Why is it important to find the values of b for which the roots are positive?

It is important to find these values because they represent the conditions under which the quadratic equation will have positive solutions. This information can be useful in solving real-world problems and understanding the behavior of quadratic functions.

Back