Find the vector of the net Force

In summary, the conversation discusses three charges, q1=25uC at (0,1), q2=20uC at (2,0), and q3=? at (2,2), and the force acting on q1 due to q2 and q3. The coulomb's law is used to calculate the force, with k=9E9, q1=25E-6, q2=20E-6, and r=sqrt(5). It is determined that q3=q2, and the magnitude of the force on q1 is found to be .9 N. The force acting on q1 by q3 is also discussed. Ultimately, the net force on q1 is found to
xXmarkXx
Take q1=25uC at (0,1), q2=20uC. at (2,0), and q3=? at (2,2). IF the force on q1 points in the -x direction, (a) what is q3 and (b) what is the magnitude of the force on q1?

F=k(q1,q2)/r^2 coulombs law

I know since q1 points in the -x direction that q3=q2. So (a)=20uC.
I'm not sure how to go about part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the vector of the net Force acting on q1 (due to q2 and q3). Take the magnitude of that vector.

mrlucky0 said:
Find the vector of the net Force acting on q1 (due to q2 and q3). Take the magnitude of that vector.

I found the r (the distance between q2 and q1) to be root 5. Then i made the equation
((9*10^9)(2.0*10^-6)(2.5*10^-6))/5 which = .009

.009*2=.018N since q2=q3.

You should decompose the forces into vectors.

I calculated the force between q1 and q2 to be .9 N

This is from:

kq1q2/r^2 ; where k = 9E9, q1= 25E-6, q2=20E-6, r=sqrt(5)

So F21 = .9*< -cos(a), sin(a) > ; where angle a = 26.5

The y component of F31 should cancel out F21 if the net force only acts in the -x direction.

Likes Bupe
mrlucky0 said:
You should decompose the forces into vectors.

I calculated the force between q1 and q2 to be .9 N

This is from:

kq1q2/r^2 ; where k = 9E9, q1= 25E-6, q2=20E-6, r=sqrt(5)

So F21 = .9*< -cos(a), sin(a) > ; where angle a = 26.5

The y component of F31 should cancel out F21 if the net force only acts in the -x direction.

If i am not mistaken, shouldn't q1=2.5E-6 and q2=2.0E-6? That is how i got .009.
I'm still kind of confused. What is F31?? The force created from q3 right?

q1 = 25E-6 = 2.5E-5
q2 = 20E-6 = 2.0E-5
k = 9E9
r = sqrt(5)

I get .9 N

F31 is the force acting on q1 by q3.

I got that the net force, F31 + F21 = .9<-2cos(A), 0>. You know the angle A, so you can just take the magnitude of that.

mrlucky0 said:
q1 = 25E-6 = 2.5E-5
q2 = 20E-6 = 2.0E-5
k = 9E9
r = sqrt(5)

I get .9 N

F31 is the force acting on q1 by q3.

no...q1=25uC = 2.5*10^-6 right? same with q2.

1 C = E6 uC
Or 1 uC = E-6 C ( a Micro-Coulomb is a millionth of a Coulomb)

25 uC * 1 C / E6 uC = 2.5E5 C

I think you're trying to move the decimal places the wrong direction.

FAQ: Find the vector of the net Force

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. How is the net force vector calculated?

The net force vector is calculated by adding up all the individual force vectors acting on an object. This can be done using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each force vector is taken into account.

3. What is the difference between net force and individual force vectors?

Individual force vectors represent the magnitude and direction of a single force acting on an object, while the net force vector represents the combined effect of all forces acting on the object. Net force takes into account both the magnitude and direction of all the individual forces, and can tell us whether the object will accelerate, decelerate, or remain in equilibrium.

4. How do you find the net force vector in two dimensions?

In two dimensions, the net force vector can be found using vector components. This involves breaking down the force vectors into their x and y components, calculating the net force in each direction, and then combining the components to find the resultant net force vector.

5. Why is it important to calculate the net force vector?

Calculating the net force vector is important because it allows us to determine the overall effect of all the forces acting on an object. This can help us predict the motion of the object and understand the factors that influence its movement.

Back