Find the velocity using special relativity

In summary, using special relativity, we can calculate the velocity of a spaceship traveling from Earth to the nearest star, which is 4.25 light years away. By considering time dilation and length contraction, and using Lorentz transformations, we can determine that the speed of the spaceship is equal to 4.5 times the speed of light c divided by the elapsed time in the Earth's frame. This equation can be rearranged to solve for the velocity v of the spaceship.
Qazzy03
[SOLVED] Find the velocity using special relativity

According to observations on the Earth, the nearest star to the solar system is 4.25 light years away.
A spaceship which leaves the Earth and travels at uniform velocity takes 4.25 years, according to the ship-borne clocks, to reach the star.
What is the speed of the space ship, expressed as a fraction of the speed of light c?

Ux = (U'x + v)/(1 + v*U'x/c^2)
We know that: x = 4.25 light years
t' = 4.25 years
c = constant.

I have been stuck on this question for nearly a week, and i was hoping someone could give me a push in the right direction. Now i know about time dilation and length contraction and that they will be seen differently between the two frames. Thats why i don't suggest that the v of the ship is equal to c.
I have also tried to rearrange the equation using Lorentz transformations, however in most cases i need gamma which means i need v.
Any suggestions would be a great help, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick one frame to work from. The simplest is earth. The time in this frame that the ship takes is 4.5*v/c years, yes? Now put the the gamma factor (leaving v as unknown) to get the elapsed ship time. Set it equal to 4.5 years and solve for v.

Thank you for the help, i now see how it works and i am able to solve v.

Related to Find the velocity using special relativity

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant speed, and introduces the concept of time dilation and length contraction.

How does special relativity affect velocity?

Special relativity states that the observed velocity of an object is dependent on the relative motion between the observer and the object. This means that the measured velocity of an object can appear different to different observers, depending on their relative motion.

What is the formula for calculating velocity using special relativity?

The formula for calculating velocity in special relativity is v = (u + w) / (1 + uw/c^2), where v is the observed velocity, u is the initial velocity, w is the relative velocity, and c is the speed of light.

Can special relativity be applied to all velocities?

No, special relativity is only applicable to velocities close to the speed of light. It becomes more accurate as the velocity approaches the speed of light, but for everyday velocities, classical mechanics can be used instead.

What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including the GPS system, which must account for the time dilation effects of satellites moving at high speeds. It also helps explain the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and is essential to understanding nuclear reactions and the behavior of stars and galaxies.

Back