Find the volume by revolving around the x-axis without expanding

In summary, a solid is generated by revolving the region in the first quadrant enclosed by the graph of y=(x^2+1)^2, the line x=1, the x-axis, and the y-axis about the x-axis. To find the volume, the integral V=\int_{0}^{1}\pi\left(x^2+1\right)^4 \,dx is used. To solve this without expanding, repeated partial integration can be used, but it is easier to expand and integrate.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
A solid is generated when the region in the first quadrant enclosed by the graph of , \(\displaystyle y=(x^2+1)^2\)
The line \(\displaystyle x=1\) , the x-axis, and the y-axis is revolved about the x-axis. Find the volumn

$$
V=\int_{a}^{b}\pi\left[f(x)\right]^2 dx
=\int_{0}^{1}\pi\left[\left(x^2+1\right)^2\right]^2 \,dx
=\int_{0}^{1}\pi\left(x^2+1\right)^4 \,dx
$$

provided this is ok so far, how do you do this without expanding it?

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
A solid is generated when the region in the first quadrant enclosed by the graph of , \(\displaystyle y=(x^2+1)^2\)
The line \(\displaystyle x=1\) , the x-axis, and the y-axis is revolved about the x-axis. Find the volumn

$$
V=\int_{a}^{b}\pi\left[f(x)\right]^2 dx
=\int_{0}^{1}\pi\left[\left(x^2+1\right)^2\right]^2 \,dx
=\int_{0}^{1}\pi\left(x^2+1\right)^4 \,dx
$$

provided this is ok so far, how do you do this without expanding it?

Hi karush,You can do it by repeated partial integration:
$$\int udv = uv - \int vdu$$
So:
$$\begin{aligned}\int_0^1 (x^2+1)^4 dx
&= (x^2+1)^4 x \Big|_0^1 - \int_0^1 x\cdot d((x^2+1)^4)\\
&= 16 - \int_0^1 x\cdot 4(x^2+1)^3 \cdot 2x\,dx \\
&= 16 - 8\int_0^1 (x^2+1)^3d(\frac 1 3 x^3)
\end{aligned}$$
and repeat...... but it's easier to expand and integrate! ;)

Hi Karush (Wave),

Personally, I don't see a way around it...I could be wrong. Solving it as a function of $y$ seems to be even more difficult.

ok expanding looks easier so

expanding $\left(x^2+1\right)^4$ would be $x^8+4x^6+x^4+4x^2+1$

so then we have

$$\pi\int_{0}^{1}\left(x^8+4x^6+6x^4+4x^2+1\right) dx$$

Last edited:
Your coefficients aren't quite right...

is post #4 correct I edited it..(Dull)

Yes, it is. (Yes)

karush said:
is post #4 correct I edited it..(Dull)

Yes! Your integral is correct now.
(But your expansion still has the wrong coefficient.)

FAQ: Find the volume by revolving around the x-axis without expanding

1. What exactly is "revolving around the x-axis"?

Revolving around the x-axis refers to rotating a two-dimensional shape around the x-axis to create a three-dimensional shape. This is often used in calculus to find the volume of a solid of revolution.

2. Do I need to expand the shape before finding the volume?

No, expanding the shape is not necessary to find the volume. The shape can be rotated around the x-axis without any changes to its dimensions.

3. How is the volume calculated in this method?

The volume can be calculated using the formula V = ∫(πy^2)dx, where y is the distance from the x-axis to the surface of the shape at each point along the x-axis and dx represents an infinitesimal element of the x-axis. This integral is evaluated from the starting point to the end point of the shape's rotation.

4. Can this method be used for any shape?

Yes, this method can be used for any shape as long as it is rotated around the x-axis. However, the shape must have a known function in terms of x in order to use the volume formula.

5. Are there any limitations to this method?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used for shapes that can be rotated around the x-axis. If the shape cannot be rotated around this axis, a different method must be used to find its volume.

Back