Find the volume of a solid bounded by different planes

In summary: And, unfortunately, it is a bit tricky to draw so you can see what you are doing. You need to do that to have any hope of setting up the integrals correctly. Neither of your two integrals is set up correctly. If you use a dydx integral you will need to break up the problem into two pieces.In your second integral, the inner limits need to be x as a function of y. Again, you need a good picture.I suggest cutting it into two volumes with the plane x = 1.
coolusername

Homework Statement

It asks to find the volume of the solid given these planes:

z = x
y = x
x + y = 2
z = 0

It also asks to find the volume using 2 iterated integrals with different orders of x and y integration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the volume of the solid which is 1/3 by setting up the volume as
∫(x=1 --> x=0) ∫(y=2-x -->y=0) [x]dydx

which then gave me 1/3.

However, when I tried to do it by integrating with respect to x first, I get a different answer with variables of y.

∫(y=2-x -->y=0)∫(x=1 --> x=0) [x]dxdy

first integration wrt 'x': (x^2)/2 from (x=1 --> x=0) = 1/2

This would leave ∫(y=2-x -->y=0) [1/2]dy = y/2 (y=2-x -->y=0) => This gives simply variables.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
coolusername said:

Homework Statement

It asks to find the volume of the solid given these planes:

z = x
y = x
x + y = 2
z = 0

It also asks to find the volume using 2 iterated integrals with different orders of x and y integration.

First you have to describe the region more carefully. Give us an exact statement of the problem. I assume it wants a region in the first octant but you haven't said that. Even so, there are still two regions that fit your description. Exact statement please.

LCKurtz said:
First you have to describe the region more carefully. Give us an exact statement of the problem. I assume it wants a region in the first octant but you haven't said that. Even so, there are still two regions that fit your description. Exact statement please.
It looks to me as though there is only one region bounded by those four planes.
coolusername said:
∫(x=1 --> x=0) ∫(y=2-x -->y=0) [x]dydx
You haven't allowed x to exceed 1. It can.

I'm sorry, it is in the 1st octant. How can x be extended? I found that value ( x =1) from the point of intersection from y = x and x + y = 2.

haruspex said:
It looks to me as though there is only one region bounded by those four planes.

You haven't allowed x to exceed 1. It can.

I agree haruspex; I had my picture wrong.

coolusername said:
I'm sorry, it is in the 1st octant. How can x be extended? I found that value ( x =1) from the point of intersection from y = x and x + y = 2.

coolusername, my question now for you is have you drawn a careful picture of the region? And, unfortunately, it is a bit tricky to draw so you can see what you are doing. You need to do that to have any hope of setting up the integrals correctly. Neither of your two integrals is set up correctly. If you use a dydx integral you will need to break up the problem into two pieces.

In your second integral, the inner limits need to be x as a function of y. Again, you need a good picture.

coolusername said:
The point (1.5, 0.2, 0.1) is also in the region; y < x, y < 2-x, 0 < z < x.
I suggest cutting it into two volumes with the plane x = 1.

I had a little time to kill so I drew a picture for you:

region3d.jpg

The vertical sides are the xz plane (yellow), the plane x = y (green) and the plane x+y=2 (cross hatched). The celing is the plane z=x (blue) and the floor is z = 0 (brown). You need to look in the xy plane for your limits.

Related to Find the volume of a solid bounded by different planes

1. What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object. It is usually measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic feet.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid bounded by different planes?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid bounded by different planes is to first find the area of the base of the solid, then multiply it by the height of the solid. This can be written as V = Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height.

3. How do you determine the area of the base of the solid?

The area of the base of the solid can be determined by finding the intersection of the different planes that bound the solid. This intersection will form a polygon, and the area of this polygon can be calculated using the appropriate formula for the shape (e.g. area of a triangle, rectangle, etc.).

4. Can the volume of a solid bounded by different planes be negative?

No, the volume of a solid bounded by different planes cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space, and space cannot have a negative value. If the calculated volume is negative, it means that the planes were not intersecting in a way that forms a solid, and the calculation should be checked.

5. How do you calculate the volume of a solid bounded by diagonal planes?

To calculate the volume of a solid bounded by diagonal planes, you can use the same formula as before (V = Bh), where B is the area of the base. However, in this case, the base will be a three-dimensional shape called a prism. The area of the prism's base can be found by multiplying the length and width of the base together.

Back