Find the volume of the ellipsoid

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of an ellipsoid with the equation x^2 + y^2 + 10z^2 = 16, by solving for z and setting up a volume integral. The final setup for the integral is shown, along with the formula for finding the volume of an ellipsoid. The purpose of the conversation is to learn how to do volume integrals.
Whatupdoc
Find the volume of the ellipsoid x^2 + y^2 + 10z^2 = 16
solve for z... z=sqrt((16-x^2-y^2)/(10))
z = sqrt((16-r^2)/10)
so to find the volume, my integral looks like this:

latex doesn't seem to be working, so this could look messy...

2*int (from 0-2pi)*int(from 0-1)* sqrt((16-r^2)/(10))*r*dr*d(theta)

the 2 in front of the integral is to find the volume, since the integral only gives half of the volume right? is my setup correct? cause i keep getting the wrong answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Your setup looks okay. I would have set it up this way:

[tex]V = 4\pi \int_{0}^{4\sqrt{5}/5} \int_{0}^{\sqrt {16-10z^2}} r dr dz[/tex]

The volume of the ellipsoid [tex]\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)^{2}+\left(\frac{y}{b}\right)^{2}+\left(\frac{z}{c}\right)^{2}=1[/tex] is [tex]V=\frac{4\pi}{3}abc[/tex].

benorin said:
The volume of the ellipsoid [tex]\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)^{2}+\left(\frac{y}{b}\right)^{2}+\left(\frac{z}{c}\right)^{2}=1[/tex] is [tex]V=\frac{4\pi}{3}abc[/tex].

I think the point was learning how to do volume integrals! Just a guess. :smile:

Related to Find the volume of the ellipsoid

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a stretched sphere. It can be thought of as a three-dimensional version of an ellipse.

2. How do you find the volume of an ellipsoid?

The formula for finding the volume of an ellipsoid is V = (4/3)πabc, where a, b, and c are the three semi-axes (half of the length of the longest, intermediate, and shortest axes, respectively).

3. Can you provide an example of finding the volume of an ellipsoid?

Sure, let's say we have an ellipsoid with semi-axes a = 6 cm, b = 4 cm, and c = 3 cm. Plugging these values into the formula, we get V = (4/3)π(6)(4)(3) = 96π cm³.

4. What units is the volume of an ellipsoid typically measured in?

The volume of an ellipsoid is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm³) or cubic meters (m³).

5. Can you use the same formula to find the volume of any ellipsoid?

Yes, the formula for finding the volume of an ellipsoid applies to all ellipsoids, regardless of their size or shape.