Find the volume of the parallelepiped

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a form in vector calculus and its relation to the dot product and cross product. The form ##[i×j=k, k×i=j , j×k=i]## is not applicable in this context and the conversation also touches on the concept of interchanging rows in a determinant.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
vector calculus
Am refreshing on this; see attached below
1643256849273.png
ok we can also use the form ##[i×j=k, k×i=j , j×k=i]## right?

to give us say, ##w⋅(u ×v)=v⋅(w ×u)## in realizing same solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate on what you mean by "the form ##[i×j=k, k×i=j , j×k=i]##".

I wanted to indicate,
For any vectors in 3-dimensional space it follows that,
##w⋅(u ×v)=v⋅(w ×u)=u⋅(v ×w)##... yap with this, i should realize the same value of the required volume... the form ##[i×j=k, k×i=j , j×k=i]## is not applicable here...

chwala said:
the form ##[i×j=k, k×i=j , j×k=i]## is not applicable here...
Thank you for your reply.

Nice sysprog...I am refreshing on this area, its long since I looked at vector calculus...of course I should be able to check and prove (some of the questions that I ask) the concept given, I just want to be certain that it's mathematically acceptable from the great minds here...cheers

It seems to me that you're trying to solidify your understanding of the relation that the dot product has to the cross product.

It's true that if ##u##, ##v## and ##w##, are vectors in 3-space, then ##w · (u × v) = v · (w × u) = u · (v × w)##.

Interchanging two rows changes the sign of a determinant, so interchanging two rows twice results in the same-sign determinant.

Likes chwala

Related to Find the volume of the parallelepiped

1. What is a parallelepiped?

A parallelepiped is a three-dimensional shape with six faces, each of which is a parallelogram. It is similar to a rectangular prism, but its faces are not necessarily right angles.

2. How do you find the volume of a parallelepiped?

To find the volume of a parallelepiped, you need to multiply the length, width, and height of the shape. The formula for finding the volume is V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

3. Can you find the volume of a parallelepiped if you only know the area of its base?

Yes, you can find the volume of a parallelepiped if you know the area of its base and the height. The formula for finding the volume in this case is V = Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height.

4. Are there any real-life applications of finding the volume of a parallelepiped?

Yes, finding the volume of a parallelepiped is useful in many real-life situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a shipping container, the capacity of a swimming pool, or the amount of water that can be stored in a water tank.

5. Can the volume of a parallelepiped be negative?

No, the volume of a parallelepiped cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space, and it cannot be negative as it represents a physical quantity. If you get a negative value when calculating the volume, it is likely that you made a mistake in your calculations.