Find the volume of the solid revolved around a region

In summary, to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of y2=4x, the line y=x, about x=4, you can use the cylindrical shells method with the integral 2∏∫(4-y)(y)dy. For y=4, the integral would be 2∏∫(4-x)(x)dx.
yesiammanu

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of y2=4x, the line y=x, about
A) x=4
B) y=4

So first I start out by graphing it
FwU0Q.png

The intercepts are at 0,0 and 4,4

I use the washers method since there is a gap in between the line and the rotated solid, making a space in the middle of the solid

The washers method says V= ∏∫ ([R(x)]2 - [r(x)2) where R(x) is the largest(outer) area, and r(x) is the smallest(inside) area. This is for rotating about the x-axis but can be used to rotate around the y axis. However, this isn't rotating about either of these axis; rather, it's rotating around x=4 which is what I am having trouble with.

So boundaries are 0 to 4, equation is ∏∫([y2/4]2 - y2)dy but this is wrong. How would I do it correctly? Is cylindrical shells a better method? If I was using cylindrical shells, would it be 2∏∫(2√x - x)(x) since I use ∫ 2∏(shell height)(shell radius) Also I'm a bit confused on how I would do part B

Any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part B, also using the cylindrical shells method, would the proper integral be 2∏∫(y - y2/4)(y)

yesiammanu said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of y2=4x, the line y=x, about
A) x=4
B) y=4

So first I start out by graphing it
FwU0Q.png

The intercepts are at 0,0 and 4,4

I use the washers method since there is a gap in between the line and the rotated solid, making a space in the middle of the solid

The washers method says V= ∏∫ ([R(x)]2 - [r(x)2) where R(x) is the largest(outer) area, and r(x) is the smallest(inside) area. This is for rotating about the x-axis but can be used to rotate around the y axis. However, this isn't rotating about either of these axis; rather, it's rotating around x=4 which is what I am having trouble with.

So boundaries are 0 to 4, equation is ∏∫([y2/4]2 - y2)dy but this is wrong. How would I do it correctly? Is cylindrical shells a better method? If I was using cylindrical shells, would it be 2∏∫(2√x - x)(x) since I use ∫ 2∏(shell height)(shell radius) Also I'm a bit confused on how I would do part B

Any help would be great, thanks.

Nice picture. For the first one, if you are rotating around x=4, then wouldn't the inner radius be 4-y and the outer radius be 4-y^2/4? The radii should be distances to the axis of rotation.

Ah I see, that makes sense, thank you. Is what I posted above (2∏∫(2√x - x)(x) for x=4, 2∏∫(y - y2/4)(y) for y=4) correct for cylindrical shell method?

yesiammanu said:
Ah I see, that makes sense, thank you. Is what I posted above (2∏∫(2√x - x)(x) for x=4, 2∏∫(y - y2/4)(y) for y=4) correct for cylindrical shell method?

Same problem. I think you have the lengths of the shells right, but you don't have the radius right. You aren't rotating around 0.

Related to Find the volume of the solid revolved around a region

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid revolved around a region?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid revolved around a region is V = π∫ba (f(x))2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function that represents the region being revolved.

What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a solid of translation?

A solid of revolution is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis, while a solid of translation is created by translating a two-dimensional shape along an axis. In other words, a solid of revolution has rotational symmetry, while a solid of translation has translational symmetry.

How does the shape of the cross-section affect the volume of a solid of revolution?

The shape of the cross-section does not affect the volume of a solid of revolution. The volume is only affected by the limits of integration and the function being integrated.

What is the difference between a disk method and a shell method?

The disk method is used when the cross-sections of the solid of revolution are perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while the shell method is used when the cross-sections are parallel to the axis of rotation. The disk method calculates the volume by summing up the areas of the circular cross-sections, while the shell method calculates the volume by summing up the volumes of the cylindrical shells.

What is the significance of the axis of rotation in finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The axis of rotation is the line around which the two-dimensional shape is rotated to create the solid of revolution. It is important because it determines the direction in which the cross-sections are taken and affects the formula used to calculate the volume. Changing the axis of rotation can result in a different volume for the same solid of revolution.