Find $\theta$ for Trig Function 33: No Calculator

In summary, the two solutions to part c) are $ y = \cos(\theta)$ and $ y = -\cos(\theta)$, respectively.
bergausstein
33. find two values of $\theta$ , $0^{\circ} <\theta<360^{\circ}$ that
satisfy the given trigonometric equation. without using calculator.

a. $\displaystyle \sin\theta=\frac{1}{2}$

b. $\displaystyle \cos\theta=-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$

c. $\displaystyle \csc\theta=-\sqrt{2}$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
These questions rely on your knowing the values of certain "special" angles for the trig. functions, and possibly the identities:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\pi-\theta)=\sin(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle \cos(2\pi-\theta)=\cos(\theta)\)

For part c), I would invert both sides of the equation to get:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\)

Let's begin with part a). In which quadrants do you expect to find solutions?

in part a. $\displaystyle 30^{\circ}$ would satisfy the equation. but i know it's not only the answer. can you help me to find the other.

bergausstein said:
in part a. $\displaystyle 30^{\circ}$ would satisfy the equation. but i know it's not only the answer. can you help me to find the other.

$\displaystyle 30^{\circ}$ is indeed one of the solutions (in fact it's the principal one)

A good place to start is working out where $\sin(\theta) > 0$ so you can narrow your search.

The basic definition of $\sin(\theta) = \dfrac{Opp}{Hyp}$. When this is applied to the unit circle you can say that $\sin(\theta) = y$ (because r=1)

Therefore for $\sin(\theta) > 0$ it follows that $y > 0$.

Now in which quadrant(s) is/are $ y > 0$

edit:

Alternatively if you know your graph of $f(\theta) = \sin(\theta)$ you can see that $ \displaystyle f(0) = 0 \ ,\ f(90^o) = 1\ ,\ f(180^o) = 0\ ,\ f(270^o) = -1 \text{ and }\ f(360^o) = 0$

This tells you there are two solutions: one between 0 and 90 which is the 30 you found and one between 90 and 180.

Last edited:
Here's another way to approach it...draw a unit circle and the line $y=\dfrac{1}{2}$, and then draw rays from the origin to the two points where the line intersects the circle, then what are the terminal angles associated with the two rays?

View attachment 1216

The other questions can be done similarly, using vertical lines for the cosine function. This is how I often visualize such problems.

Attachments

• bgangle.jpg
    bgangle.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 82
but how would i know the measure of that other angle? what method should i use to determine its measure?

The angle on the right, the smaller angle is $0^{\circ}+30^{\circ}$ and so you should be able to see the larger angle is $180^{\circ}-30^{\circ}$.

This is closely related to the identity I gave in my first post:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\pi-\theta)=\sin(\theta)\)

Think of two particles on the unit circle, the first at (1,0) and the second at (-1,0). The first moves counter-clockwise at a constant rate, and its $y$ coordinate is $y=\sin(\theta)$. The second moves at the same rate but in the clockwise direction, and its $y$-coordinate is given by $y=\sin(\pi-\theta)$. Can you see that their $y$-coordinates are the same for all $\theta$? This is how I visualize the identity above.

Can you use the two particle model to visualize the identity I gave in my first post for the cosine function?

FAQ: Find $\theta$ for Trig Function 33: No Calculator

1. What is the purpose of finding $\theta$ for Trig Function 33 without a calculator?

The purpose of finding $\theta$ for Trig Function 33 without a calculator is to test your understanding and mastery of trigonometric concepts and formulas. It also allows you to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills without relying on technology.

2. Can I use a calculator to find $\theta$ for Trig Function 33?

No, the instructions specifically state "no calculator" which means you must solve the problem manually without the use of a calculator. This is to assess your knowledge of trigonometric functions and not your ability to use a calculator.

3. What is the recommended method for finding $\theta$ for Trig Function 33?

The recommended method is to use trigonometric identities and properties, such as the Pythagorean theorem and special angles, to simplify the expression and solve for $\theta$. You may also use the unit circle and trigonometric ratios to solve the problem.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for finding $\theta$ for Trig Function 33 without a calculator?

Yes, some tips and tricks include memorizing common trigonometric values, understanding the relationship between the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, and being familiar with the unit circle. It is also helpful to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

5. What should I do if I am stuck or cannot find $\theta$ for Trig Function 33?

If you are stuck or unable to find $\theta$ for Trig Function 33, try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also ask a classmate or teacher for help, or refer to a trusted math resource for additional examples and explanations.