Find Threshold Energy to Generate a Pion

In summary, the question asks for the threshold kinetic energy of an incoming proton to produce a pion in a collision with a stationary proton. The efficiency of this interaction is never better than half, meaning that only half of the energy used in the collision can be converted into the rest energy of the new particle. The center of mass frame can be used to simplify the equations and find the minimum kinetic energy required for the pion to be generated.
sebb1e

Homework Statement

A high speed proton of rest mass M collides with a proton at rest in such a way that not only do the two protons emerge from the collision, but also a pion of mass m. Find the threshold kinetic energy of the incoming proton for such a pion to be generated.

Show that the efficiency of the interaction is never better than a half.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done very similar questions before but usually it would be the minimum kinetic energy required to produce one particle from two colliding ones, so there is only one variable on the RHS of the equation. Quite simply, can I just take the centre of mass of the two protons and the pion on the RHS so I don't have to have three separate velocities? If this is wrong what should I do instead, also how do I deal with the efficiency bit?

Mgamma(u)[c,u]+M[c,0]=(2M+m)gamma(w)[c,w]

This leads to an answer of c^2(2m+m^2/2M) which looks neat enough to be reasonable.

mc^2/(c^2+2m+m^2/2M) can never be more than a half, so is the efficiency the rest energy of the new particle over the energy used.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

First of all, you are correct in using the center of mass frame to simplify the equations. This will make your calculations much easier.

To find the threshold kinetic energy of the incoming proton, you need to set the total energy of the system equal to the rest energy of the two protons and the pion. This will give you the minimum kinetic energy required for the pion to be generated.

As for the efficiency of the interaction, you are on the right track. The efficiency can be defined as the ratio of the rest energy of the new particle (in this case, the pion) to the total energy used in the collision. So, in this case, the efficiency would be (mc^2)/(c^2+2m+m^2/2M). And as you correctly pointed out, this can never be more than a half. This means that at most, only half of the energy used in the collision can be converted into the rest energy of the new particle.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Find Threshold Energy to Generate a Pion

1. What is a pion and why is it important?

A pion, also known as a pi meson, is a subatomic particle that is composed of a quark and an antiquark. It is important in understanding the strong nuclear force and is also used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

2. How is the threshold energy for pion production determined?

The threshold energy for pion production is determined by the minimum amount of energy needed to create a pion from an initial state of particles. This can be calculated using various equations, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What factors affect the threshold energy for pion production?

The threshold energy for pion production is affected by the masses of the particles involved, the initial energy of the particles, and the angle at which they collide. The presence of other particles, such as protons or neutrons, can also affect the threshold energy.

4. How is the threshold energy for pion production measured in experiments?

In experiments, the threshold energy for pion production can be measured by varying the energy of the initial particles and observing the resulting pions produced. By plotting the data and extrapolating to find the minimum energy needed, the threshold energy can be determined.

5. Can the threshold energy for pion production change?

Yes, the threshold energy for pion production can change depending on the particles involved and the experimental conditions. Additionally, with advancements in technology and understanding of subatomic particles, the threshold energy may be recalculated or adjusted.