Find Time: Solving Kinematic Equations for Baseball Motion

• Thread starter czlu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of time and initial velocity for a baseball thrown from the street, passing a window 25 m above the street with a vertical speed of 13 m/s. The calculated values are 33.62 for altitude thrown and 25.67 for initial velocity. The solution for part (a) is 2.6 seconds, and for part (b) it is determined that the kinematic equation d1=d0+vt+(1/2)a(t^2) can be used, with the final vertical distance being 0.
czlu
sorry, i meant how to find TIME.

Homework Statement

A baseball is seen to pass upward by a window 25 m above the street with a vertical speed of 13 m/s. The ball was thrown from the street. I figured out the altitude thrown was 33.62 and the initial velocity was 25.67.

(a) How long after it was thrown did it pass the window?

(b) After how many more seconds does it reach the street again?

Homework Equations

the 4 kinematic equations

For example, v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried V=V0+at
and and got 2.6 for part a and have no clue how to do part b. can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how you arrived at 2.6 for part a. I'd check that.

For part b, you know that the final vertical distance is zero and you have worked out the initial velocity. Which kinematic equation has distance initial velocity and time in it?

correct me if I am wrong d1=d0+vt+(1/2)a(t2)

that's all you need isn't it?

FAQ: Find Time: Solving Kinematic Equations for Baseball Motion

1. What is the purpose of using kinematic equations in baseball?

Kinematic equations are used in baseball to analyze and predict the motion of the ball and players on the field. These equations help determine important factors such as speed, distance, and time, which can be used to improve performance and strategy.

2. How are kinematic equations applied to baseball?

Kinematic equations are applied to baseball by using data such as the initial velocity and acceleration of the ball and player to calculate the trajectory and position of the ball at any given time. This information can then be used to analyze and make decisions about the game.

3. What are the key variables in kinematic equations for baseball motion?

The key variables in kinematic equations for baseball motion include initial velocity, acceleration, time, and displacement. These variables can be used to calculate other important quantities such as average velocity and acceleration, and the angle and direction of motion.

4. Can kinematic equations be used for all types of baseball motion?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used for all types of baseball motion, including the motion of the ball after being hit, thrown, or caught, as well as the motion of players running and fielding. However, they may not account for external factors such as wind or spin on the ball.

5. How can kinematic equations help improve baseball performance?

Kinematic equations can help improve baseball performance by providing valuable information on factors such as speed and distance, which can be used to make adjustments and improve technique. They can also be used to analyze and compare different players and strategies, leading to better overall performance.

Back