Find Transfer Function of Circuit: KVL, KCL Equations Used

In summary: Thanks for your help.Of couse, but the OP was asked to find the transfer function, which I understood to be in closed form, e.g. Laplace. But maybe Bode plots is what the question had in mind after all.Yeah I can plot signal-frequency, phase-frequency with LT Spice but to compare it,I want to draw the same graphs with MATLAB using transfer function of the circuit.Actually this is my some kind of homework. Thanks for your help.
ozerozdal

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function Vout(s)/Vi(s) of the circuit

Homework Equations

Zr = R; Zl=Ls; Zc=1/Cs; KVL; KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the transfer function of the complete circuit I send.For this, I divided the all circuit into small pieces.I tried to write the function for the smallest one,and then I realized that all circuit is not a series circuit.By the way, Vac source our input, and output is in front the R2.For this reason,I didnt add R2 into transfer function ? Am I right or should I add it ? Also how can I find the transfer function for the second and the complete circuit ? Can you give me an idea ?

Attachments

• First.jpg
    First.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 450
  • Second.jpg
    Second.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 452
  • Complete Circuit.jpg
    Complete Circuit.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
ozerozdal said:

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function Vout(s)/Vi(s) of the circuit

Homework Equations

Zr = R; Zl=Ls; Zc=1/Cs; KVL; KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the transfer function of the complete circuit I send.For this, I divided the all circuit into small pieces.I tried to write the function for the smallest one,and then I realized that all circuit is not a series circuit.By the way, Vac source our input, and output is in front the R2.For this reason,I didnt add R2 into transfer function ? Am I right or should I add it ? Also how can I find the transfer function for the second and the complete circuit ? Can you give me an idea ?

Welcome to the PF.

Yikes, that last circuit is involved!

For the first circuit, yes you need to include R2 in the calculation, since it loads the rest of the circuit. Are you told to assume the coupling coefficient of the transformers is 1?

Thanks for your reply.Yes I assume the coupling coefficient of the transformers 1:1Actually I am confused for the grounds.How can I think them ?

Get simulation software like SPICE - quick! :bugeye:

Is there a software which gives us the transfer function of the systems directly? Also,will it be too hard to calculate by hand ?

ozerozdal said:
Is there a software which gives us the transfer function of the systems directly? Also,will it be too hard to calculate by hand ?

SPICE does not generate transfer functions. It allows time response to various input functions, and frequency domain information (Bode plots).

You can input transfer functions but you don't get transfer functions generated from circuits input'ed into the software.

i know of no software that does that, but it's conceptually feasible so maybe there is some out there.

Doing a circuit like your #3, or even #2, by hand is next to impossible. Only possibility I see is application of two-terminal network theory (ABCD parameters etc.) but even there the mutual inductances seem to complicate the situation. Also, who knows, maybe constant-k or m-derived theory - I'm not conversant with those.

rude man said:
SPICE does not generate transfer functions. It allows time response to various input functions, and frequency domain information (Bode plots).

You can input transfer functions but you don't get transfer functions generated from circuits input'ed into the software.

i know of no software that does that, but it's conceptually feasible so maybe there is some out there.

But you can plot Vo/Vi with SPICE, at least I can with MicroCAP...

berkeman said:
But you can plot Vo/Vi with SPICE, at least I can with MicroCAP...

Of couse, but the OP was asked to find the transfer function, which I understood to be in closed form, e.g. Laplace. But maybe Bode plots is what the question had in mind after all.

Yeah I can plot signal-frequency, phase-frequency with LT Spice but to compare it,I want to draw the same graphs with MATLAB using transfer function of the circuit.Actually this is my some kind of homework.

Related to Find Transfer Function of Circuit: KVL, KCL Equations Used

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of circuits, it represents the ratio of the output voltage or current to the input voltage or current.

2. How is KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) used to find the transfer function?

KVL is used to determine the voltage drop across each element in a circuit by summing the voltage drops in a closed loop. This information is then used to write an equation for the transfer function in terms of the input and output voltages.

3. What is KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) and how is it used to find the transfer function?

KCL states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must be equal. By applying KCL at different nodes in the circuit, a set of equations can be written in terms of the input and output currents, which can then be used to find the transfer function.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the transfer function of a circuit?

Yes, there are other methods such as using Laplace transforms, nodal analysis, and mesh analysis. These methods may be more efficient for certain types of circuits, but ultimately they all lead to the same transfer function.

5. What information is needed to find the transfer function of a circuit using KVL and KCL equations?

To find the transfer function using KVL and KCL equations, you will need the circuit diagram, values of all the circuit elements, and the input and output variables. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of circuit analysis principles and the laws of KVL and KCL.