Find Unknown Weight w/ Ideal Spring Problem

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the problem involves an ideal spring hanging next to a scale, with known weights causing the scale to read certain amounts. By solving for the constant weight being applied to the scale, the correct scale reading for an unknown weight can be determined.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

An ideal spring hangs next to a scale, when a 100N weight the scale reads 40, when a 200N weight is attached it reads 60. Using an unknown weight reads 30.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the value of k for the spring however when calculating k for the 100N it is 2.5N/m and for the 200N it is 3.3N/m which doesn't make sense to me since I would've thought k would be constant. I also tried using F/x=F/x but this also didn't work so I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

An ideal spring hangs next to a scale, when a 100N weight the scale reads 40, when a 200N weight is attached it reads 60. Using an unknown weight reads 30.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the value of k for the spring however when calculating k for the 100N it is 2.5N/m and for the 200N it is 3.3N/m which doesn't make sense to me since I would've thought k would be constant. I also tried using F/x=F/x but this also didn't work so I'm completely lost.
Hint: you are not told what the scale reads when no weight is attached.

haruspex said:
Hint: you are not told what the scale reads when no weight is attached.
Thanks! I solved for the constant weight that is being applied to the scale.
(100+c)/40=(200+c)/60
This gave c=100
Including this constant weight in the equations gave the correct scale reading of 50.
I'm assuming this is how you would solve it because it produced the correct answer although there might be a different way.

Potatochip911 said:
Thanks! I solved for the constant weight that is being applied to the scale.
(100+c)/40=(200+c)/60
This gave c=100
Including this constant weight in the equations gave the correct scale reading of 50.
I'm assuming this is how you would solve it because it produced the correct answer although there might be a different way.
That's as good a way as any.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze all the information given in the problem statement before attempting to find a solution. In this problem, we are given the readings of the scale when different weights are attached to the spring. We are also given the equation F=-kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

First, let's consider the readings of the scale. When a 100N weight is attached, the scale reads 40, and when a 200N weight is attached, the scale reads 60. This means that the spring is being compressed by 40N and 60N respectively when these weights are attached.

Next, let's consider the equation F=-kx. This equation tells us that the force applied to the spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring, with k being the proportionality constant (spring constant). This means that the spring constant should be the same for both the 100N and 200N weights, as the displacement of the spring is different but the force applied is the same.

Now, let's consider the unknown weight that reads 30 on the scale. This means that the spring is being compressed by 30N when this weight is attached. Using the equation F=-kx, we can set up the following equation:

30N = -kx

We have two unknowns here, k and x, so we need another equation to solve for these variables. We can use the information given in the problem statement to set up another equation. Since we know that the scale reads 40 when a 100N weight is attached, we can write the following equation:

40N = -kx1

Where x1 is the displacement of the spring when the 100N weight is attached. Similarly, we can write the following equation for the 200N weight:

60N = -kx2

Where x2 is the displacement of the spring when the 200N weight is attached. Now, we have three equations and three unknowns (k, x1, x2). We can use these equations to solve for k, which is the spring constant.

Solving these equations, we get:

k = 3N/m

Therefore, the spring constant is 3N/m. Now, we can use this value of k to find the displacement of the spring when the unknown weight is attached

FAQ: Find Unknown Weight w/ Ideal Spring Problem

1. How do I solve for the unknown weight in an ideal spring problem?

In order to solve for the unknown weight in an ideal spring problem, you will need to use Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by an ideal spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. You will also need to know the spring constant, which can be found by measuring the force and displacement of the spring.

2. What is an ideal spring and how does it differ from a real spring?

An ideal spring is a theoretical concept that assumes the spring is massless and has no friction. This means that the force exerted by the spring is solely dependent on the displacement from its equilibrium position. In reality, real springs have mass and friction, which can affect their behavior and make them less ideal.

3. Can I use Hooke's Law to solve for the unknown weight in any spring problem?

No, Hooke's Law is only applicable to ideal springs. Real springs may follow a different equation, depending on their properties and materials. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of Hooke's Law before using it to solve for unknown weights.

4. How do I measure the spring constant in an ideal spring problem?

The spring constant can be measured by applying a known force to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The spring constant is equal to the force divided by the displacement. This process may need to be repeated multiple times and the average of the results can be used as the spring constant.

5. What are some common sources of error in solving for the unknown weight in an ideal spring problem?

Some common sources of error in solving for the unknown weight in an ideal spring problem include not measuring the displacement accurately, not taking into account the mass and friction of the spring, and not considering the limitations of Hooke's Law. It is important to carefully measure and record all variables in order to minimize error in the calculations.