Find Vector Normal, Plane Equation & Distance from Origin for Points On A Plane

In summary, the three given points (1,1,-1), (3,3,2), and (3,-1,-2) determine a plane. The vector normal to the plane is <4,8,-8>. The equation of the plane is (4k-1)x + (8k-1)y + (-8k+1)z = 0, where k is a scalar. The distance of the plane from the origin is 5/3.
danago
Gold Member
The three points (1,1,-1), (3,3,2) and (3,-1,-2) determine a plane. Find:
  1. A vector normal to the plane
  2. The equation of the plane
  3. The distance of the plane from the origin

For part 1 i just said let:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\overrightarrow {OA} = < 1,1, - 1 > \\
\overrightarrow {OB} = < 3,3,2 > \\
\overrightarrow {OC} = < 3, - 1, - 2 > \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

then:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\overrightarrow {AB} = < 2,2,3 > \\
\overrightarrow {AC} = < 2, - 2, - 1 > \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Since the vectors AB and AC both lie on the plane, i just need to find a vector normal to both.

[tex]
\overrightarrow {AB} \times \overrightarrow {AC} = < 4,8, - 8 >
[/tex]

For the equation of the plane i just said

[tex]
\left( {\vec{p} - \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
1 \\
1 \\
{ - 1} \\
\end{array}} \right)} \right) \cdot \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
4 \\
8 \\
{ - 8} \\
\end{array}} \right) = 0
[/tex]

Where vector p is some point on the plane.

For the final part, i think i did it correctly, but not sure if it is the most efficient way of doing it. I assumed that the question was supposed to say the perpendicular distance.

What i did was find the projection of OA (since A lies on the plane) onto a vector which is normal to the plane, n, and then calculate its magnitude.

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
{\mathop{\rm proj}\nolimits} _{\overrightarrow n } \overrightarrow {OA} = \frac{{\overrightarrow {OA} \cdot \overrightarrow n }}{{\overrightarrow n .\overrightarrow n }}\overrightarrow n = \frac{{\overrightarrow {OA} \cdot \overrightarrow n }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow n } \right|}}\widehat{n} \\
\therefore \left| {{\mathop{\rm proj}\nolimits} _{\overrightarrow n } \overrightarrow {OA} } \right| = \frac{{\overrightarrow {OA} \cdot \overrightarrow n }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow n } \right|}} = 5/3 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Does that look ok? Its mainly the last part i was a bit iffy about; i think I've done parts 1 and 2 correctly, unless I've made errors in my calculations.

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same answer for your first two parts. For the last part you have to find the distance of the perpendicular line from O to the plane. I don't think you need to use projection here. Since the normal is already perpendicular to the plane, you can let [itex]k \vec{n}[/itex] be the vector from the origin to the plane. Clearly the individual directional scalar components of [itex]k\vec{n}[/tex] satisfy the equation of the plane, since [itex]k\vec{n}[/itex] is itself on the plane. You can make use of that to find the length of kn.

Defennder said:
I got the same answer for your first two parts. For the last part you have to find the distance of the perpendicular line from O to the plane. I don't think you need to use projection here. Since the normal is already perpendicular to the plane, you can let [itex]k \vec{n}[/itex] be the vector from the origin to the plane. Clearly the individual directional scalar components of [itex]k\vec{n}[/tex] satisfy the equation of the plane, since [itex]k\vec{n}[/itex] is itself on the plane. You can make use of that to find the length of kn.

Oh so pretty much form the equation:

[tex]
\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{4k - 1} \\
{8k - 1} \\
{ - 8k + 1} \\
\end{array}} \right) \cdot \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
4 \\
8 \\
{ - 8} \\
\end{array}} \right) = 0
[/tex]

And then solve for k? And then find the magnitude of [tex]k\vec{n}[/tex]? I did all that and got the same answer so atleast i know my reasoning in the first method i did was correct :smile:

Thanks again for your help.

Related to Find Vector Normal, Plane Equation & Distance from Origin for Points On A Plane

1. What is a vector normal?

A vector normal is a vector that is perpendicular (at a right angle) to a given plane. It is often used in mathematics and physics to represent the direction of a surface or the direction of motion of an object.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane can be found using the formula Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables and D is a constant. These coefficients can be determined using the coordinates of three non-collinear points on the plane.

3. What is the distance from the origin for points on a plane?

The distance from the origin to a point on a plane can be found using the formula d = |Ax + By + Cz| / √(A^2 + B^2 + C^2), where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the plane's equation and x, y, and z are the coordinates of the point.

4. How do you determine if a point is on a plane?

To determine if a point is on a plane, you can substitute the coordinates of the point into the equation of the plane. If the resulting value is equal to the constant D, then the point lies on the plane. If the resulting value is not equal to D, then the point does not lie on the plane.

5. Can a plane have multiple normal vectors?

No, a plane can only have one normal vector. This is because the normal vector is defined as being perpendicular to the plane, and there can only be one unique perpendicular direction at any given point on a plane.