Find Vectors T1 & T2 Such That T1 is Parallel & Perpendicular to T2

• Thread starter hamza324
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses finding vectors T1 and T2 that satisfy the equations B = T1 + T2 and T1 is parallel to vector C and perpendicular to vector T2. The individual values for vectors B and C are given, but the conversation also mentions the need for unit vectors. The conversation also provides a hint for finding the solution.
hamza324
Hi , I have a question stated as

Given the vector B=-6x-8y+9z and vector C= 5x-3y+4z .

Find vectors T1 and T2 such that T1 is parallel to vector C and perpendicular to vector T2. where vector B = T1 + T2 .

So far, i was able to find a vector T1 which is parallel to vector C but couldn't figure out how i can make it perpendicular to the vector T2 because when i try to make it perpendicular to the vector T2, it becoms impossible to satisfy the given equation B = T1 + T2 .

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

Those are equations for lines, not vectors.
Did you mean x,y, and z to be unit vectors?
So ##\vec{B}=(-6,-8,9)^t## and ##\vec{C}=(5,-3,4)^t####\vec{T}_1## is parallel to ##\vec{C}## and perpendicular to ##\vec{T}_2##.
##\vec{B}=\vec{T}_1+\vec{T}_2##

i was able to find a vector ##\vec{T}_1## which is parallel to vector C
There are infinite vectors parallel to ##\vec{C}##, but how did you find the particular one you needed?

Per your question:
Hint:

if ##\vec{u}\perp\vec{v}## then ##\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}=?## and ##\vec{u}\times\vec{v}=?##

Thanks a lot...i got it..

FAQ: Find Vectors T1 & T2 Such That T1 is Parallel & Perpendicular to T2

1. What is the definition of parallel vectors?

Parallel vectors are vectors that have the same direction or are in the same line, but may have different magnitudes.

2. How can I determine if two vectors are parallel?

If two vectors have the same direction and are not zero vectors, then they are parallel. Another way to determine parallelism is by calculating their cross product – if the cross product is zero, then the vectors are parallel.

3. What is the definition of perpendicular vectors?

Perpendicular vectors are vectors that are at right angles to each other, meaning the angle between them is 90 degrees.

4. How can I find a vector that is both parallel and perpendicular to another vector?

To find a vector that is parallel to another, simply multiply the original vector by a scalar. For a vector that is perpendicular, take the cross product of the original vector with any other vector.

5. Can two vectors be both parallel and perpendicular to each other?

No, two vectors cannot be both parallel and perpendicular to each other. This is because parallel vectors have the same direction, while perpendicular vectors have opposite directions.