Find Velocity of Ball After 3 Seconds

In summary, in this problem, a ball is projected horizontally from the top of a cliff with an initial speed of u. Neglecting air resistance and assuming g to be 10 ms^-2, after 3 seconds, the velocity of the ball is found to be 50 ms^-1. Using the equations s=ut+1/2at^2 and v=u+at, the value of u can be determined by equating the resultant velocity to 50 ms^-1. Using Pythagoras' theorem, u can be found to be approximately 40.44 ms^-1.
look416

Homework Statement

A ball is projected horizontally from the top oF A CLIFF WOTH SPEED U. iF AIR RESISTANCE IS NEGLECTED AND G IS ASSUMED to be 10 ms-2, the velocity of the ball is found to be 50ms-2, 3 seconds later. What is the value of u

Homework Equations

s=ut+1/2at2
s=vt
v2=u2+2as
v=u+at

The Attempt at a Solution

well the problem is i do not know to use which components either x or y
if i use x, but in projectile motion and Newton 1st law, the speed of x will not change as there is no other force to push or pull the ball
however, usually we use the initial speed for x only, and for y is 0
so how X.X

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well no1 can solve it ? ==

Ball moves horizontally without any change in its velocity U
Ball falls vertically withe zero initial velocity.
What is its velocity V in the vertical direction after 3 seconds?
U and v are perpendicular to each other.
What is the resultant of these two velocities?
Equate this resultant velocity to 50 ms^-1. , and find U

well this is what i have done
v=u+at
v=0+(9.8)x(3)
v=[tex]\frac{147}{5}[/tex]
using Pythagorus theorem,
a2+b2=c2
([tex]\frac{147}{5}[/tex])2+b2=502
so the b=40.44
yep i got the answer thanks so much

Related to Find Velocity of Ball After 3 Seconds

What is the formula for finding the velocity of a ball after 3 seconds?

The formula for finding velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What is the value of acceleration in the formula for finding velocity?

The value of acceleration depends on the situation. In the case of a ball being thrown, the acceleration due to gravity is typically used, which is 9.8 m/s^2.

How do you calculate the initial velocity of a ball?

The initial velocity can be calculated by using the formula u = (v - at), where u is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Is the velocity of a ball affected by air resistance?

Yes, the velocity of a ball can be affected by air resistance. Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object and can cause a decrease in the ball's velocity over time.

Can you find the velocity of a ball after 3 seconds if the acceleration is not constant?

Yes, the velocity of a ball can still be found after 3 seconds if the acceleration is not constant. In this case, you would need to use calculus to calculate the velocity at a specific point in time, such as after 3 seconds.

Back