Find Voltage at Node 1 in Op-amp CMRR Circuit

• Thread starter ranju
  • Start date
In summary, the goal of the op-amp circuit is to find the CMRR. To do this, we need to find voltages at the 2 nodes (1 & 2), and voltage at node 2 can be found by voltage divider. To find voltage at node 1, we need to solve for V1 as a function of V2 and Vo.
ranju
In the given op-amp circuit we have to find CMRR..for the we will need to find voltages at the 2 nodes (1 & 2) , we can fibd voltage at node 2 by voltage divider..how to find voltage at node 1 ..??
I also have a doubt ..that since no current enters the the op=amp the voltage difference Vd across the 2 nodes will be zero , so wouls'nt the voltage at the 2 nodes will be equal??

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_084504.jpg
    IMG_20141005_084504.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 532
Engineering news on Phys.org
ranju said:
I also have a doubt ..that since no current enters the the op=amp the voltage difference Vd across the 2 nodes will be zero , so wouls'nt the voltage at the 2 nodes will be equal??

no help yet ?

Isn't that the basic premise of an operational amplifier? It's surrounded by a feedback network that let's it hold its inputs equal ?
What happens if you use voltage divider rule to solve for voltage at node 1 as function of V1and Vo , then set your two node equations equal...?

But if the voltages at node 1 & 2 are equal ..then what about Ad ( gain with different input signals) ..it will be infinity..!..since the 2 input voltages at node 1 &2 will be equal Vd will be zero then..!

Last edited:
Ad should not appear in the method i suggested. That method will tell you for any V1 and V2 what is Vo.

Just try it.

before solving i out.. my main concern is..Vd ..now see.. Vd = Vnode2 -Vnode1 & Vd is zero as we know ..so both voltages are equal ..again I am saying Vd is zero that means Ad is infinity... & CMRR=Ad/Ac.. then CMRR will be infinity..!

ranju said:
... Vd is zero that means Ad is infinity... & CMRR=Ad/Ac.. then CMRR will be infinity..!

For an ideal op-amp, Correct.

An ideal op-amp is usually considered to have the following properties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier#Ideal_op-amps

Last edited:
But we use this assumption (Vd=0 ) while solving for expressions of output voltage in inverting or non-inverting amplifiers..so this is applicable there only..right.>?? For numericals in which nothing as such specified..we'll find the 2 input voltages individually and solve it out..!

ranju said:
again I am saying Vd is zero that means Ad is infinity...

In reality Ad is something like 10^5 to 10^8
so when you say difference at inputs is zero, well, 0.000001 does round off to zero.

What is important is to get your mind working these circuits as if the gain actually were infinite and the opamp able to balance its inputs exactly,.
Then they become intuitive.
Then , as an astute student of operational amplifiers, you back up and apply corrections for the non-idealness of the amplifier.

Sometimes it's Ad you have to correct for, sometimes its the input current, sometimes it's the zero shift between inputs...

So work it as if the amp were ideal, then back up and plug in your real gain of say 10^6 and see how much the result changes.
Then plug in a couple microvolts of input offset. And then a few nanoamps of input current.
That'll give you a feel for the effects of opamp's non-idealness.
I used to do that with Basic on my TI99 because it had a great math pack for basic, TI made their home computer report as many digits as did their pocket calculators, Taught me a lot.

old jim

Hey just a quick note. I think you are supposed to find the CMRR for the circuit as a whole, not the op-amp.

This means finding the common mode gain (setting V1=V2) and differential gain (keeping them independent).

Related to Find Voltage at Node 1 in Op-amp CMRR Circuit

1. What is a CMRR circuit?

A CMRR circuit, or common-mode rejection ratio circuit, is a type of operational amplifier (op-amp) circuit that is designed to reject common-mode signals and amplify differential signals. It is commonly used in electronic devices to reduce noise and improve signal quality.

2. How do I find the voltage at node 1 in an op-amp CMRR circuit?

To find the voltage at node 1 in an op-amp CMRR circuit, you can use the formula V1 = (V2 x R1 + V3 x R2) / (R1 + R2), where V2 is the input voltage at the non-inverting input, V3 is the input voltage at the inverting input, and R1 and R2 are the resistors connected to the op-amp. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage directly.

3. What is the purpose of a CMRR circuit?

The purpose of a CMRR circuit is to improve the accuracy and quality of a signal by minimizing the effects of noise and interference. It does this by amplifying the desired differential signal while rejecting any common-mode signals that may be present.

4. How does a CMRR circuit work?

A CMRR circuit works by using a differential amplifier, which has two inputs: a non-inverting input and an inverting input. The differential amplifier amplifies the difference between these two inputs, while rejecting any signals that are present at both inputs (common-mode signals). This allows the desired signal to be amplified while reducing the effects of noise and interference.

5. What factors affect the CMRR of a circuit?

The CMRR of a circuit can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the op-amp, the values of the resistors used, and the layout and design of the circuit. Any noise or interference in the circuit can also affect the CMRR, as it can introduce common-mode signals that the circuit may not be able to reject effectively.