Find Volume of Sphere using Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of the solid enclosed by a sphere and two planes using Spherical coordinates. This is done by integrating two parts: V = V_{R=const.} + V_{z = const.} The limits for V_{R=const.} are [0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi], [\frac{\pi}{2} - sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2}) \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}], [0 \leq R \leq 2 \pi] while the limits for V_{z = const.} are [0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi
jeff1evesque

Homework Statement

Using Spherical coordinates, find the volume of the solid enclosed by the sphere [tex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4a^2[/tex] and the planes z = 0 and z = a.

Homework Equations

I have the solutions to this problem, and it is done by integrating two parts:
[tex]V = V_{R=const.} + V_{z = const.}[/tex]

The limits for [tex]V = V_{R=const.}[/tex] are
[tex][0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi], [\frac{\pi}{2} - sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2}) \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}], [0 \leq R \leq 2 \pi][/tex]

The limits for [tex]V_{z = const.}[/tex] are
[tex][0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2} - sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})], [0 \leq R \leq \frac{a}{cos(\theta)}], 0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone explain to things to me:
1. Why there are two things we are integrating: [tex]V = V_{R=const.} + V_{z = const.}[/tex] I would think there should be only one integral, one that is bounded between z = 0, and z = a within the given sphere.
2. Why the limits are defined as it is- more specifically, the limits for [tex]\theta[/tex] for [tex]V = V_{R=const.}[/tex], and [tex]\theta, R[/tex] for [tex] V_{z = const.}[/tex]Thanks so much,

JL

Physics news on Phys.org
sphere_cone.jpg

In above plot, green surface is V_R=const. and, imagining the blue cone surface filled to the brim would be the Vz=const. Two integrals are needed because why? What is the equation of the blue surface in spherical coords?

benorin said:
sphere_cone.jpg

In above plot, green surface is V_R=const. and, imagining the blue cone surface filled to the brim would be the Vz=const. Two integrals are needed because why? What is the equation of the blue surface in spherical coords?

Oh, ok thanks- I think I understand this problem now. By the way, that's a really cool picture.

JL

Related to Find Volume of Sphere using Spherical Coordinates

1. How do I find the volume of a sphere using spherical coordinates?

To find the volume of a sphere using spherical coordinates, you can use the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere. However, this formula only works for Cartesian coordinates, so you would need to convert the coordinates to spherical coordinates first.

2. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates to find the volume of a sphere?

Using spherical coordinates allows for a simpler and more intuitive representation of three-dimensional space, making it easier to visualize and understand the volume of a sphere. It also simplifies the calculation process, especially for more complex shapes.

3. Can I use spherical coordinates to find the volume of any shape?

No, spherical coordinates are specifically designed for spherical shapes such as spheres, balls, and globes. For other shapes, other coordinate systems such as Cartesian or cylindrical coordinates may be more appropriate.

4. Are there any limitations to using spherical coordinates to find the volume of a sphere?

One limitation is that spherical coordinates only work for symmetric shapes such as spheres. For more irregular shapes, the volume formula may need to be broken down into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, spherical coordinates may not be suitable for precise calculations in engineering or scientific fields.

5. How can I apply spherical coordinates to real-life situations?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics, astronomy, and engineering to describe the positions and movements of objects in three-dimensional space. They can also be used in navigation systems, mapping, and GIS applications to determine the location of points on a sphere. Additionally, spherical coordinates can be applied to problems involving fluid flow and heat transfer, such as calculating the volume of a planet or the amount of air in a balloon.

Back